2| 23B

"Are you sure going on this beach trip is a good idea, Karma?"

I kept my eyes on my laptop screen as I continued to remind myself that the woman talking was my mother and not someone that I could tell to mind their own business and fuck off.

I understood where she was coming from; but this was the last summer before my senior year. That meant that by this time next year, I was probably going to be living in another state. I was going to be away from my home, my best friends, and everything I've ever known. It made me sick to my stomach when I thought about it.

"Think of it this way, mom-I can take advantage of the beach trip while in Florida and go for a tour at USF."

My mom's eyebrows rose so high they nearly got lost in her dark hair. Minerva Fitzgerald was in her early forties but still have that youthful look in her appearance. I got my kind side from my father and my stubborn side from my mother. It was an unusual combination.

"You applied?" she asked incredulously. "I thought you didn't want to go."

I didn't. I wanted to go to college with Lanie and Harper. Yes, it's always been my dream to be a nurse, but I always thought I could pursue that dream here in New York. It wasn't until the possibility of a scholarship to USF that an out of state school became an option.

"I applied yesterday." I continued to scroll through college lists of schools that were here in New York on my computer. What mom didn't know, didn't hurt her. "I won't lie. The idea of going away to school still doesn't sit well with me," I started to explain, "but I know it's probably the best option I have."

I shut my laptop a little harder than I should have. Looking at colleges in New York was just making me feel worse than I already did. I sat up on my bed, crossed my legs, and tucked my hair behind my ear. "Maybe I'll feel better once I see the school in person. I already set up a tour for one of the days that I'll be in Florida."

My mother perked up immediately. "Oh, that's great, honey!" She came farther into my room and sat on the edge of my bed. "I'm telling you, if you get this scholarship, all your dreams will come true."

I huffed. "I don't know about that, mom. Sounds a little too Disney for real life."

"Oh, hush," she laughed and stood back up. "So when do you guys leave for the trip?"

Annnnnnd just like that she was fine with me going. Just like I knew she would be. Truthfully, I hadn't booked a tour at USF. Not yet, at least. I'll take care of it once I get there. My mom was going to want proof that I went so there was no getting out of it now. I was just going to go and collect some brochures. Also maybe a few question that I knew she would ask if she was there.

"Tomorrow," I answered. I couldn't wait to get on that plane and go on my vacation. USF aside, I was longing to stick my feet in the sand and go swimming in the ocean.

"What time is your flight?"

"We're supposed to be at the airport at eight in the morning. It's a non-stop flight." Thank God. The faster we got to Florida, the better. Every year we always played a game of rock, paper, scissors to see who would have to sit next to Nathan. I've been lucky so far. Until this year.

"Do you need a ride to the airport?"

I shook my head. "No. I'm going to drive to Lanie's and leave my car there. That way when we get back, I can just drive home."

My mom smiled and cupped my cheek. "Okay, sweetie. We'll miss you." She took a few steps back towards the door. "Now let's go down to dinner. Your father's waiting."