54| I've Learned From My Mistakes

I was getting better at this whole anniversary thing

I was getting better at this whole anniversary thing. At least, I thought I was. If Karma's reaction was any indication when I brought her to the tree house, where I had a blanket laid out on the grass below it with roses and a picnic basket with her favorite food and snacks, then, yeah, I was getting better at this.

The way she jumped into my arms and squealed in delight tugged at my heart. And when I gave her her actual gift, I almost dropped the L-bomb, right then and there.

I couldn't take all the credit with her gift, though. Nate Jenkins wasn't a fool. When I went to the jewelry store in Manhattan with a vague idea of what I wanted, I took Lanie with me. My little sister was more than thrilled to help me look for something for Karma. When she asked me what I wanted to get her, I explained the necklace that Karma got me and what it meant. I told Lanie I wanted to get Karma something that held the same meaning.

Or even more.

So after a few hours of searching and brainstorming, my eyes fell on a nice gold roped bracelet that had an empty nameplate on it. And that's when the idea hit me to get my name engraved on it for her.

She was absolutely stunned when she ripped open the wrapping paper and lifted the lid to the velvet box. I told her that I wanted her to wear it always. As a symbol that she was mine. The same way that the silver that was hanging from my neck showed her that I was hers.

I was shocked when she actually teared up with emotion. For a split second, I thought I fucked up. Then she grabbed me by the face and kissed the fuck out of me. Promised to never take it off.

That she was mine. Forever.

A fierce possessiveness rushed over me when she said that. The idea of spending the rest of my life with her did even more than pull on my heartstrings. It fucking yanked so hard that I started having mental images of wedding dresses, kids, and growing old together.

The shocking truth of wanting all those things—things I've been too afraid to even consider before meeting her—is what kept me from telling her how I felt. I was going to tell her soon, though. I had to. If I held it in any longer, I was going to lose my fucking mind.

"Sometimes...I still don't understand it, Nathan."

I turned over on the blanket we had laid out and rested my arms behind my head while looking up at the cloudy sky. "Don't understand what, gorgeous?"

Karma let out a heavy sigh. She was sitting with her legs crossed next to me, picking at some leaves that blew onto the blanket. "Your interest in me. I mean...the girls you've dated before me..."

Sitting up, I cupped the side of her face with my hand and stroked her cheek with my thumb as I looked into her eyes. "Karma, I'm with you because you aren't like the other girls I've dated. You're so much more."

I knew why she had her doubts, and it was understandable that she was still struggling with it. That's why no matter how many times she asked, I was going to make sure she knew just how much she meant to me. Which was another reason I needed to work up the balls to tell her those three little words.