17| About The Other Night

With everything that happened yesterday, and with Nathan disappearing today, I was in desperate need of some alone time. Hence the reason I was currently entering the pool area of the hotel and shutting the gate behind me. The fact that this hotel had a hot tub was an added bonus.

After I laid my towel on the chair, I walked towards the steaming water. It called to me, beckoning me to it with silent promises of relaxation and worry-free minutes. Both of which I was looking forward to. Placing my hand on the silver rail, I stepped into it.

I sank down and sat on the cement bench so the water was up to my neck. "This is what bliss feels like,"

Thankfully Harper and Lanie were already asleep. If they weren't, then I would've had to sneak out to come here alone. God, that sounded horrible. I should be spending more time with them, not less.

We did spend the day together, however. After a late brunch, Lanie, Harper, and I came down to the pool and worked on our tans. Harper went on and on about the boy she hit it off with yesterday. Jake, I think his name was.

Lanie listened, offering her opinion when necessary. I tried to participate, but my mind was still reeling over the awkwardness between Nathan and I during that whole volleyball thing. And I kept expecting him to show up at the pool or something. But I hadn't seen him at all today.

It wasn't that I wanted to see him. It just went to prove that I was right and he was only looking to—

"Hey, gorgeous."

My eyelids flew open. Nathan stood by the steps wearing only a black pair of swim shorts. God, he looked good. Why did he have to look so good?

"I told you not to call me that."

"Yeah, you did. But I very much enjoy calling you that." Nathan gestured to the hot tub. "May I join you?"

"I don't really think my answer matters. You're going to come in regardless."

"You don't gotta be so surly about it."

"You don't have to be so...so Nathan," I said lamely.

With an amused snort, he entered the water. "Who should I be then if not myself?"

"I hardly think you've been yourself lately."

"I can say the same for you," he shot back.

That made me pause for a moment. He was right. Keeping secrets from my best friends and suddenly staring at Nathan's chest all the time was definitely not the Karma Fitzgerald I used to be. But I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of telling him that.

"You don't know me, Nathan. Not really."

He was across from me in the hot tub, arms stretched out along the sides. Showing off that damn chest. And those broad shoulders.

"Well, I think I do know you. But just for fun, why don't we do a little game of twenty questions?"

The sensible part of me knew not to give in to his games. Especially after yesterday at the beach. I was more convinced than ever that I was nothing more than some conquest to him. A literal game.

Just say no, Karma.

"Ten questions," I said without thinking. Why am I negotiating this?

"Fifteen," he countered.

"Fine." Whatever. "You go first."

"We need to make an agreement that we're going to be completely honest with our answers. And we can ask each other anything."