6| We Were Just Practicing Our Cannonballs

"Wakey, wakey, wakey. Yo! Karma! Wake up!"

My mind turned on so slowly that I barely registered Lanie's voice. When I finally opened my eyes, I frowned. There was a coffee table and a large TV in my eyeline.

This isn't my room.

Memories from the night before came back to me. Nathan creeping into the condo after his date-gone-wrong. Me eating my stress away with a tub of Ben & Jerry's. Then Nathan's offer to watch a movie. I also kind of remembered falling asleep.

But where was Nathan?

I was on the couch with a pillow under my head and the blanket from the night before spread out over me. Since I remembered falling asleep sitting up, he must have brought me this pillow and covered me. The kind act shocked me. It was so not Nathan.

"You alive, Karma?"

I looked up at Lanie who was watching me with concern. "Hey, Lanie."

"You okay? And why weren't you in your bed?"

Sitting up on the sofa, I ran my hand over my face. "Sorry. Couldn't sleep. I came out here and watched some TV. Guess I fell asleep."

With your brother, I thought to myself.

Even though we were just hanging out and nothing happened, it still felt like I did something I shouldn't have. There was an odd feeling in the pit of my stomach at the thought of telling her. I was worried it would get awkward and questions would be asked that I didn't have answers to.

Shit. I was really overthinking this, wasn't I?

"I'm fine," I said at last. "You know me, L. I never sleep well in a new bed."

At least that wasn't a lie. I wish I could tell her the truth about USF. My gut told me it was too soon. Lanie was probably going to take it a lot harder than Harper. Or even me. One thing I loved about my best friend was how much she cared about other people.

Lanie Jenkins was one of a kind. The best of the best. The thought of hurting her with the truth killed me.

"I was thinking we could hang by the pool today," she said casually as she sat on the coffee table. "Unless you want to go down to the beach?"

I thought about that for a second. It's been a long time since I've even been in a pool. Damn...I've really been living a sheltered life, haven't I? I really needed to get out more.

"That sounds good. I'll go brush my teeth and stuff and get dressed. Do you mind if I eat some breakfast first, though? I'm starving."

Lanie chuckled and stood up from the table. "I can make us some pancakes while you get ready. Still like blueberries?"

"Ew no," I answered sarcastically. "Those are my all time favorite, Lanie. You know that."

"Shame on me!" She put her hand over her heart. "You're right. You're absolutely right. My apologies and it will never happen again."

"I would appreciate that," I quipped. I finally got up from the couch and stretched my arms and legs. I folded the blanket and returned it to its resting place on the back of the sofa before I grabbed my pillow.

I headed down the hallway to my bedroom. When I passed Nathan's door, I paused. I atleast wanted to say thank you for what he did. I lifted my hand and knocked. No answer. I tried again and got the same result.

With a sigh, I opened the door and peeked inside. All I saw was a duffle bag on the dresser and an empty messy bed. No Nathan.

Shutting the door, I went to my bedroom. Oh well. I would probably see him later anyway. Or maybe I shouldn't say anything about it...