38| Trust & Jealousy

"You're really looking good out there, Nate

"You're really looking good out there, Nate." 

Cue inward cringe. I knew that voice. I hated that voice. Knowing I had no other choice, I turned around and plastered the fakest smile on my face. 

"Trish. How's it going?" And why are you here? 

She put the flirt on and gave me that puppy dog look. "When are we going to get another go around, Nate?" 

I shook my head. "Not gonna happen, Trish." 

"Right. You're off the market now." With a heavy sigh she added, "That's a shame. Anyway, that's the not the real reason I'm here."

Sure it wasn't. After the one-time hookup I had with Trish before summer break, she's been calling and texting me constantly. She finally stopped when word spread that I had a girlfriend. But I figured she would pull a stunt like this. 

"What can I do for you?"

She glanced to the left where Nick was taking off his pads. "You've been friends with Nick for a while, right?" 

I shurgged a shoulder. "Eh. Only about fifteen years."

"Well, I was wondering if you could put in a good word for me? Maybe he wants my number to hang out?"

I wanted to tell her the same thing I told her a few seconds ago. Not a chance in hell. I knew Nick almost better than he knew himself. There was no way he would date Trish. Or hook up with her.

"Sure, Trish. I'll tell him." 

"Thanks, Nate." With another wink, she turned and left. 

Once she was out of range, Nick came up to me and slugged me in the shoulder. 

"Ow! What was that for?" 

He jerked his head towards Trish. "What the hell was that? You're with Karma now, Nate." He held up his hand when I went tried to set the record straight. "Look, I know we've been best friends since the sandbox, but I really like your girl. I think she's good for you. I'm not going to let you hurt her by hooking up with the likes of Trish." 

"Are you done?"

"Yeah, I am."

"Good. I wasn't trying to hook up with Trish, Nick. She wanted me to see if you were interested in her." 

His face scrunched up in disgust. "What? Ew. No, I'm good." 

"That's what I thought." 

After taking off the last of my gear, I walked over to the bench to take off my skates. 

"Wait a minute. She didn't try to get back with you?" 

First, I took off the left skate, and then the right. "She did at first. I told her not a chance in hell."