48| Déjà Vu

"So how's it going with Karma? You screw it up yet?" 

I shut my locker and spun the combination before turning to my best friend. There was a wry smile on his face as he waited for my answer. "It's going good." It was going fantastic, actually. "And no, I haven't fucked up." 

"Yet." 

Stepping past Nick, I started walking towards my English class, my friend falling in step beside me. "Why are you busting my balls. Think I'm actually gonna risk fucking this up?" 

"Of course not. I'm just making sure that you know what you got. You can't lose her, Nate." 

He was so damn right about that. Ever since my little revelation about my feelings for Karma two weeks ago when we slept together, I haven't been able to think about anything else. I wanted to tell her how I felt. But at the same time, I was scared shitless. As much as I loved feeling like this and living in this euphoria, I wasn't a moron. I knew that saying those three little words would make me vulnerable. Well, more vulnerable.

It was like the phrase 'I love you' came with a knife and a road map of my heart, showing her just where to cut to ruin me. Not that I thought Karma would do anything to hurt me, but that's what love was, wasn't it? It upped your chances of getting the shit kicked out of you. If I lost this girl, it was going to absolutely destroy me. 

"Tell me something I don't know," I said dryly. 

"Okay. I went on a date yesterday."

That stopped be dead in my tracks in the middle of the quad. Staring at Nick, I sputtered before saying, "Excuse me? What did you say?" 

He shook his head and laughed. "You know, that was the same reaction I had when you told me about Karma." 

"Come on, Nick, seriously. You went on a date? With who?" I groaned. "It wasn't Trish was it?" 

Nick shuttered in disgust. "Not if she and I were the last two people on planet Earth, man. Don't get me wrong, she's a nice girl and all, but that ain't for me." 

I rolled my eyes at that. "So are you going to tell me or not? Who is she?" 

With a side smile Nick took a few steps back. "I'm late for class already. Why don't we meet later at LOST and I'll tell you all about it." 

"Okay. Sounds good." 

Waving bye to Nick, I turned and started walking towards my class. But I didn't get far. I barely made it two steps before someone ran into me intentionally. Déjà vu wasn't just a feeling when I saw it was the same asshole that did it at that party a few weeks ago. 

"What's your problem, Brian? Forget what I said at the party?" I splayed my arms wide. "If so, I have no problem reminding you." 

The tenseness of his body and the hostility in his expression told me that he was looking for a fight. Normally, I wouldn't waste my time with bullshit like this. But I didn't forget a certain someone's name he said under his breath at that party. If he started talking shit about my girl again then his was going to get ugly.