71| BBQ's & Private Conversations

"Who the fuck eats relish?"

Karma's eyes widened before she looked around the park. "Nathan, shhh," she admonished me. "If my mom hears you she's going to wash your mouth out with soap."

I stared at the jar with a scowl. I never understood how somebody could eat the stuff—let alone on a perfectly good hotdog when ketchup and mustard would do the trick.

"It's just...gross." With a flick of my wrist, I shook the jar around. "I mean look at it."

"At least there's no sauerkraut here."

Even though I shivered a little with disgust, her mentioning The Ingredient That Shall Not Be Named reminded me of our time in Florida when I took her to that old diner. Mel's Hot Dogs.

Setting the jar of chopped up sweet pickles down, I leaned into Karma and nuzzled her neck a little. "You know, gorgeous, Maybe after high school we can take a trip some time to Florida and go down memory lane. You know, where it all started."

Her eyes heated with interest at my suggestion as she reached out and stroked the side of my face. "I would love that."

Originally this whole barbecue get together at the park was supposed to be just for Karma and her parents. But an hour before they were planning to go, I got a call from my girlfriend. When she told me that wanted to invite Harper and Lanie, I wasn't all that surprised.

But when she also invited me, my mouth dropped a little. Even though Mrs. M was always pretty nice to me, and didn't seem to have an issue with me and Karma dating, there always seemed to be something...off. She's known me pretty much my whole life, too. So there was the possibility that she didn't approve of my history with girls.

I wouldn't blame her if that was the problem. But Karma assured me that her mom genuinely wanted me to be there, so here we were. Karma's dad was over at the grill, cooking the hamburgers and hot dogs. My sister and Harper were asked to go pick up some soda from the store down the street, and who knew what was taking them forever. Probably chatting up some boys or something. And Karma's mom...

She kept staring at me. Like, really staring. And that was the main reason I haven't kissed my girlfriend in the past fifteen minutes. As much as I wanted to lick my way inside Karma's mouth—which was like, fucking always—I was definitely not going to mac on her in front of her mom and dad.

"Nathan, I think my dad needs some more plates for the hotdogs. I'll be right back."

Reaching out towards her, I tried to catch her before she walked off. I had a very strong feeling that if I was left by myself—

"Hello, Nate."

Fuuuuck. I knew it. I freaking knew it. This was why I've been sticking to Karma like a magnet since I got here. "Hey, Mrs. M."

"Would you take a walk with me? There was something that I wanted to talk to you about."

Oh, shit. That didn't sound good. A thousand different subjects went through my mind as to what she wanted to talk to me about. Every single one of them made my fear multiply.