59| Losing Control

Every New Year's Eve for the past three years has always been spent at one of my boys' houses for a killer party

Every New Year's Eve for the past three years has always been spent at one of my boys' houses for a killer party. There was always unlimited booze, drugs, and women. As far as the drugs went, I never touched anything harder than some weed occasionally, but I was always on board with the other two.

Thinking about the number of women I've slept with-sometimes more than one during those parties-made me fell sick to my stomach. I never thought there was anything wrong with the way I was living before, but now things were different. I was different.

Which was why I was currently wearing a suit as I stood in my bathroom in front of the mirror. I made fancy plans for me and Karma tonight. I planned a dinner at a rooftop restaurant. Then I was going to take her for ice cream at Lloyd's before ending the night in the Honeymoon Suite at The Hilton.

The amount of money I spent to make tonight happen was outrageous. I mowed a lot of lawns and washed a lot of cars to make sure I could give her a night to remember. Karma deserved something special tonight. Hell, she deserved something special every night. But there was something about counting down to midnight and ringing in the new year with her that just seemed...major. Like it was a big deal.

And that was one reason I started investing in hair gel. Staring into the large mirror, I repeatedly touched at my hair that I slicked back, trying to make sure it was just right. Normally Lanie would be behind me while I prepared for a date with Karma, making jokes and taking jabs at me. All with sisterly love.

Thankfully there were no distractions like that right now. Lanie was off with Harper doing God knows what. My parents left already to meet their friends for a party of their own. So, it was just me.

That was until I heard a banging noise at the front door followed by the sound of it opening and closing.

"Yo, Nate! Where you at?"

Frowning I continued messing with my hair. "Nick? I'm upstairs," I called back.

What the hell was he doing here? He was supposed to be the party one of our hockey friends was throwing. And he knew I had plans tonight.

I heard the loud booming of his feet taking the stairs two at a time. Just as he came into my room, I turned around to tell him that he could say whatever he wanted, I wasn't cancelling on Karma.

But that wasn't what came out of my mouth. Because the expression on the guy's face told me he had some fucking bad news to drop on me. My mind instantly went to Karma. Had something happened to her?

"What the fuck happened, Nick?"

He stepped towards me slowly and held up his hands. "Before I tell you this, you need to promise me that you aren't going to freak out."

Reaching forward I grabbed him by the shirt and jerked him until we were face to face. "Tell me. Now. What happened to Karma."

"Karma is fine," he said in a gentle voice. Like he was trying to explain something to a fucking toddler. "Nothing happened to her. But..."