40| False Promises

No

No. No. Nope. Uh-uh. Not an option. 

Standing in front of my closet, I stared at the many clothing options I looked through and had decided weren't good enough for my date with Nathan tonight. He was taking me to a fancy restaurant, and I thought I would have something relatively sexy to wear. But the only dress I had that fell into that category was the red one. 

The one I wore to the club that night. But if I wore that one, then I would have to sneak it past my parents by wearing something over it. And I'm not sure how Nathan would feel if I wore that dress in public around other boys. Last thing I wanted was for Nathan to punch some guy who was ogling me while the waiter served dessert. 

Yeah, no thanks. But what else was I going to wear? I literally had no sexy dresses. And I really liked the way he looked at me when I wore the dress. Reaching into the deepest corner of my closet, I pulled it out. 

"Screw it," I muttered. "I'll just wear this and put another dress over it. And Nathan would just have to be on his best behavior at dinner."

He was supposed to pick me up in a little over an hour, and since I already had my hair done, I made quick work of putting on my red dress and slipping another less sexy dress over it. Then I left my bedroom to go to my bathroom to apply my makeup. 

I was never really a heavy makeup type girl. And I was relieved that Nathan wasn't into it much either. Since most of the Happy Meals he hooked up with had clown faces, I thought he would expect me to get heavy duty with eyeshadow and lipstick. 

But on one of those late afternoons when we were laying in his bed making out, he traced his fingertips over every single inch of my skin. 

"I'm so glad you don't really use makeup."

My brows drew together in a fierce frown. "Really? I thought it was the opposite, actually."

He shook his head as he stroked my lips with his thumb. "You are...so incredibly beautiful, Karma. Just as you are. Like this, with no makeup."

"Are you saying that I'm ugly with makeup, then?"

Nathan chuckled. "Not at all. You're my gorgeous girl. I'm just saying that there isn't a single thing about you that I would change. I've always felt like girls put on makeup to make themselves look better for guys. If that's the case, you don't need that shit. Not for me. If you want to wear it for you, then wear it. But don't think you have to wear it for me." 

That moment with Nathan was the first time I ever really felt sexy. Sure, there were plenty of times with him over our short relationship that he made me feel wanted and pretty. But that was different. And it was also the reason why I was only putting on a little foundation and some eyeliner. Nothing more. 

"Oh, there you are, Karma."

My eyes met my mom's in the mirror. I was hoping to sneak out of the house before she saw me. "What's up?"