66| Get Outta Jail Free Card

Out of my past eighteen birthdays, I had to say I've never been more excited to celebrate getting older

Out of my past eighteen birthdays, I had to say I've never been more excited to celebrate getting older. I knew my nineteenth birthday was going to be one I would never forget.

On my birthdays in the past we usually spent them with one of my friends throwing a house party with drinking, dancing, and drugs. I never took part in that last one though. Was just never really my thing. I would usually spend the night hammered and making out with some random girl. The surprising thing was, out of all of the times I've had sex, I've never had sex on my birthday. I never really realized that until now.

"So, we doing the usual tomorrow?"

I walked around the pool table while trying to find the perfect shot. Nick was game to hang out today when I called him this morning. Even though I was all gung ho about Karma going on this camping trip, I was extremely bummed that she wasn't going to be here for my birthday tomorrow.

"Nah," I said to him and angled my pool stick against the table. "I think I'm just gonna stay home."

"What? No. It's your birthday," Nick pointed out as if I had forgotten. I didn't need to look up to know he was sporting an annoyed expression. "We always do something for your birthday."

My pool stick made contact with the cue ball, which made it hit the number fourteen stripped one and it sunk straight into the corner pocket. I straightened and walked around to the other side of the pool table.

"Things are different this year, Nick. I want to spend my birthday with Karma. I made a promise."

Nick splayed his arms wide and had an offended look on his face. "What? So just because you have a girlfriend now you're just going to forget about your best friend?"

"If I forgot about you, Nick, I wouldn't be here with you right now." 

"You know what I mean." 

Actually, I did. Nick and I went back all the way to the sandbox. Not a birthday has gone by that we haven't spent together. To be honest, if he was the one with the girlfriend and I wasn't able to see him on his birthday, I would be feeling some type of way, too. 

"All right," I said on a sigh. "I'll be honest, I don't want to go to one of those parties. Especially after what happened with Brian and shit. I promised Karma I wouldn't do anything until I celebrated with her, but I'll talk to her and let her know that I'm going to do something with you tomorrow and she and I can still celebrate when she gets back." 

The corners of his mouth lifted, and his expression went from disappointed to happy. "What about your girl? You sure this won't put you in the doghouse?" 

Leaning against the side of the pool table, I gave Nick's question some thought. I've known Karma almost as long as I've known Nick. That girl was one of the most caring and understanding people I knew. Not only would she understand why Nick and I had to hangout on my birthday, but she would probably be pissed if I didn't just because of a promise I made to her. But I wasn't stupid, though. I was still going to call her tonight to make sure she was cool with it.