chapter 2 - She's cold

Ashley, with her eyes closed, stretched out her arm in hopes to pinch Brooklyn by the left abdomen as she would always do before, only to feel an empty bed. Her eyes shot open, and Brooklyn was nowhere to be seen. Her heart throbbed again. She quickly stood up searching for where her girlfriend had gone. She's not here. She didn't come back.

Last night, Ashley had slept alone on her bed, assuming that Brooklyn would be back the same night cuddling with her. They would then wake up in the morning snuggling on each other's arms. Ashley would make scrambled eggs for breakfast — the perfect way to wake up.

Ashley's eyes traveled towards a note by the cabinet stand beside the bed.

Ash, I'm sorry. My childhood friend invited me to have dinner with her. Let's have dinner together tonight. I promise it won't happen again.

Your Brook

Ashley felt her lips curl up. Brooklyn hadn't left her. They were okay. Nothing has changed. Although her hands became sweaty and her heart filled with panic, she calmed herself. Everything will be alright. Ashley convinced herself.

Ever since she had caught Brooklyn cheating on her two years ago, she admitted that she has been wary that Brooklyn might cheat on her again. Sometimes she wondered what went wrong and when things became like this.

Brooklyn and she had been dating for four years now. Looking back, it was Ashley who chased Brooklyn despite all the rejections. It made her fear that Brooklyn might have just accepted her rejections because of how annoying her continuous confession was.

Ashley rubbed her temples as she went towards the kitchen to fry some eggs. Eating all those pizzas last night made her feel uncomfortable. It sucks when the love of your life bails on you.

Ashley sighed. She couldn't hold herself and decided to find where Brooklyn went. She knew sooner or later, that their relationship will fail, but trying to save it is better than letting things be. Ashley decided to confront Brooklyn and talk things out. They could still fix their relationship. Ashley believed so!

After eating her breakfast, Ashley took a shower. She lightly touched her lips. It's been so long since they had kissed. It made her want to talk to her friends again. Ashley sighed again as she dried her hair. Her friends never liked Brooklyn since the beginning. They all had been wary of Brooklyn's accepting Ashely's confession. It was weird, and no matter how it was, they never fully trusted Brooklyn. The fact that Brooklyn was secretive when it comes to her family. It seems shady.

Ashley carefully put on her clothes before sending a message to their group chat.

Ash: Can we meet tomorrow? I have a problem.

Just before Ashley put her phone away, her phone notifications suddenly made her jump a bit. Ashley felt her lips curving upwards. She had the best friends ever. They were always available for each other, and even when they didn't, they'd compensate by doing something else instead.

Zahr: let's meet for lunch!!

Jewel: it's your dear girlfriend isn't it?

Rain: i'm free!

Seeing how her friends were all free, Ashley decided to meet with them later for lunch. She put her phone back inside her purse. She didn't want to see her friends frying and cruising her girlfriend again.

Ashley locked the door to the condominium and headed towards the cafe that she had a hunch Brooklyn may visit. She ordered a cup of coffee as she found a comfortable seat to settle in. The cafe was rather relaxing and quiet. Ashley observed the cafe. There she could see students studying for their exams, couples on dates, and some were just sipping coffee by themselves. It made Ashley reminisce about the time she and Brooklyn went here, especially during their second year of dating. Thinking back, Brooklyn has always clung to her arm as they went inside this same cafe years prior. It made Ashley's heart warm. She was able to make the girl she likes, like her back.

Ashley took a sip of the coffee. It made her heart warm again despite the coldness that Brooklyn had made her feel.

Ashley narrowed her eyes when she saw a familiar wavy black hair and a handbag. It made her heart jump negatively. Fear enveloped her whole body. Who is that guy beside her? Ashley's eyebrows formed a distraught triangle. She sighed and touched her temples. She wouldn't. Not again. Ashley stood up and went back home. She shouldn't rush and assume things. Brooklyn had promised that she wouldn't cheat again. Despite how Ashley tried to convince herself, her heart ached as if arrows had pursued into her heart.

Ashley opened the door to her condominium. She walked and lay on the sofa.

The world seemed to stop. Ashley lay down, biting her lip. She could feel a hot drop of liquid, she liked her lip and could taste something sour. Blood.

No. Brook promised me. Ashley calmed herself, yet those cold shoulders that Brooklyn had been giving her ever since she arrived, made her uneasy. She kept palpitating as if overly stressed.

Ashley sat there waiting and waiting for Brooklyn to arrive. Her eyelids seemed to have given in and she fell into a deep slumber. Inside her dreams, Brooklyn stood in front of her with a smug look. Brooklyn sneered and the next thing Ashley knew, Brooklyn's eyes became cold, then walked away from her.

Ashley kept shouting Brooklyn's name to no avail, the latter only kept walking away. Droplets of sweat began forming on her forehead. The next thing Ashley knew, she woke up. Morning came and the sunlight shone brightly against Ashley's face. She groaned. It was morning already, yet Brooklyn was nowhere to be seen. Ashley massaged her temples, it seemed like she couldn't remember the game, all she knew was that she was having a nightmare.

Ashley got up and went towards the bathroom as she looked at her phone, anticipating a message from Brooklyn. There's none. Ashley sighed.

Ash: Babe. I hope you are safe. You haven't gone home yet. Text me back once you're awake. ILY

Ashley closed her phone as she got dressed, getting ready to meet her friends. Her heart felt heavy. She didn't know why she felt so anxious. It's as if something bad is going to happen today.