chapter 3 - why?

Ashley yawned as she was on her way to meet with her friends. It's been so long, like a year since they met. She had been too busy. Either working overtime or being with Brooklyn all the time. It wasn't any different. They are still close despite this. She has been very grateful to her friends.

Ashley sighed. She wished that Brooklyn could also love her like before. Somehow deep inside her heart, she felt that something might go wrong. Ashley patted her heart, trying to calm herself down.

She remembered how her parents didn't like Brooklyn and said that her girlfriend would hurt her in some way. It made Ashely angry of course. After all that, Ashley decided not to contact her parents anymore after graduating.

At the back of Ashely's mind, she wondered why Brooklyn never introduced her to her parents. Ashley couldn't help wondering what if she was Brooklyn's dirty little secret. It had happened before. Ashley sighed. It seemed like her relationship with Brooklyn had been going downward ever since Brooklyn had cheated on her.

No matter how Ashley tried to brush away her thought about Brooklyn might be cheating on her again, it killed her inside. Had their relationship been this fragile? Ashley couldn't help but wonder what she had done wrong. Ashely had done everything. Loved Brooklyn for five years. Her love for Brooklyn is still as big as when she was able to get a 'yes' from Brooklyn.

However, her heart ached again. She remembered how she chased Brooklyn and asked her out plenty of times despite being rejected. She started their love story. Somehow she felt guilty.

It made her wonder whether Brooklyn only accepted to shut her up. At the same time, she was sure that Brooklyn was in love with her. She had been sweet to her for years. It's just that sometimes, she breaks her promise.

As Ashley passed through the restaurant, she stopped in her tracks. Her eyes blinked a few times before she went back a few steps.

A certain black-haired lady caught her attention. She recognized the lady's side view. It was Brooklyn!

Ashley pursed her lips before smiling happily. As she walked toward Brooklyn, she saw another man circling his arm on Brooklyn's thin waist.

Their face moves closer toward one another before their lips touch. After the kiss, she witnessed how Brooklyn even placed another kiss on the man's forehead.

Tears streamed down her face forming rivers. Ashley was in a daze.

When someone bumped into her, Ashley's brain seemed to have switched off. She continued to walk forward towards the cafe where her friends and she were supposed to meet.

She cheated on me again. Ashley didn't know what she had done wrong. Why had Brooklyn cheated again?

Ashley was walking towards a cafe, where she will meet up with her friends. She felt her fingers tightening her grip on her handbag. She felt nervous. Before going inside, she panicky whipped her tears away, yet her heart kept aching.

The cafe was fancy and had a comfortable feeling, making one feel at home. There were different types of people inside. Ashley looked at the ground, for fear of being judged. She didn't have enough money to spend on another expensive coffee. She sighed. No matter, her friend assured her that the bill will be on them. How lucky she is to have such friends.

"Ashley!" Jewel called with her cheerful voice before enveloping Ashley in a hug.

Zahra raised her eyebrow, detecting that something was wrong. She crossed her arms, "Why were you crying?"

Ashley sat beside her friends. She bit her lip. How would she explain to her friends that Brooklyn cheated on her again?

"I know it's sudden but, let's go back to my house," Ashley suggested.

Knowing that the apartment that Ashely rented couldn't accommodate the four of them, Rain sighed. Deep inside her heart. She knew that it must be related to Brooklyn again.

"Let's visit my house instead. I'll drive," Rain offered as she played with her car keys.

"You better spit everything out," Zahra glared. It made her want to strangle Brooklyn. How many times is she going to hurt our dear friend?

"Zahrah!" Jewel called, "Don't scare her!" She pouted as she gently patted Ashley's head.

They all got up and went inside Rain's car. Rain's parents own a company, and being the only child, she was destined to inherit her parent's company after they grew old. Right now she is the General Manager of EastWest Co. Although the company isn't that big, it was still very profitable.

They soon arrived at Rain's three-story house. The house could be seen as single and minimalistic yet elegant. Rain grew up being thought to be humble.

Ashley and her friends left their shoes and high heels near the door and wore indoor sliders instead. It was the tradition not to dirty the floor.

Rain led them to her room, which had its own small living room. They all settled on the sofa, with all eyes on Ashley.

Ashley didn't know where to start. She inhaled before speaking. Anxiousness filled her body. After that, she felt her heart ached again. It's as if she was back outside the restaurant. The scene where she caught Brooklyn cheating on her replied in her mind.

A tear fell down her cheeks, "I caught Brooklyn cheating again."

"That son of a bitch!" Zahra shouted. She knew Brooklyn was no good. It's a pity her good friend fell in love with such a scumbag.

"Zahra!" Jewel warned, then turned to Ashley, "I know you love her, but it's better to let her go." Her lips formed a sad smile. Her heart ached for her friend.

Ashley didn't deserve this kind of treatment. Nobody does.

Rain sighed. She already had a hunch, "We don't want you to get hurt. "

"Fuck right! We should tie her up and-"

"Zahra! Stop being such a murderer. You'll end up in jail for this," Jewel warned.

Zahra rolled her eyes before turning to Ashley, "Ashley you need to let go. It's hurting us too. You know how much we love you."

Ashley forced herself to smile. Her friend loves her. It seems that she had been a fool. No matter how you love them, if she doesn't love you. All your efforts mean nothing.

Ashley finally knew that she needed to let Brooklyn go. She had been holding a rope all by herself that it's wounding her.

"I really do love her, but it just hurts so much," Ashley muttered as tears began to flow down her cheeks.

Rain got up and enveloped her in a hug, "Come one. Let's drink! Everything's on me."

The least Ashley's friends could do was to accompany her and her wounded heart.