11- daddy and mommy issues?

I got home and sat in bed. I didn't have the motivation to do anything. I just stayed there, with my phone with my hands and my eyes blankly staring at my reflection.

The screen lit up and a notification appeared.

"Token: excited for Friday? Can't believe the ball is so close! Have you decided on a costume yet?"

I didn't have the energy to lie, not even through message. I just shut the phone off and hid my face in my pillows. Between sighs and empty stares, my eyelids grew tired and I drifted to a dreamless sleep.

When I opened my eyes again everything was dark and quiet. I grabbed my phone. It's light blinded my temporarily but as my eyes adjusted I saw in big white numbers "3:24 a.m.". I got up slowly, my whole body feeling like a weight, falling victim to gravity. Each step I took felt like it melted to the ground, making it harder to take another. I looked out the hallway, deserted, with some faint snores coming from my parents' room. My belly quickly interrupted, groaning with hunger. To satisfy it, I climbed downstairs and headed to kitchen, ready to munch on the first thing to appear.

Opening the fridge was disappointing to say the least. Just a bunch of leftovers, milk and some ingredients. I closed the door and went to the cupboard that usually hid the sweets. Once again I was disappointed. I headed back to the fridge, hoping that somehow something different would have appeared in the time I wasn't looking, but instead, I was met with the same view as before. I decided to give in and take some leftovers of pasta with tuna. I put a plate with half of the pasta in the microwave and waited.

I stared at the plate spinning. My mind wandered off.

My parents didn't even wake me up...

They had dinner, saw their son in bed, depressed as can be, and just didn't give a single shit. Not even to check if I was still breathing or not.

It's crazy. They want this perfect smart little boy and don't even care to check if he's alive or not. Doesn't matter if he's crying, if he's hurt, if he's being bullied at school, if he has no friends, if he hates himself... doesn't matter, none of it. As long as he has a stupid letter written with a cheap ass pen in a meaningless paper by a random person, they're happy.  The letter having to be, obviously, an A.

I honestly wonder why they expect so much from me. They've seen me my whole life and still, they manage to ignore the fact that the only thing I'm working towards is surviving school. I'm not some prodigy or gifted child, I'm just an average teen who happens to study a lot.

Maybe if I was, they'd care more...

BING

The microwave stopped. I pushed those thoughts away and grabbed my food. I pondered sitting at the dinner table but seeing that my mom wasn't there to make me do it, I decided to go to my room.

I sat in my bed with the warm plate in my legs. I ate my half-cold half-hot pasta in the silence of my room, trying to not fill the room with my thoughts. My mind kept drifting from what Clyde had said to what had happened with Kenny. Both destroyed my will to show up at school the next day.

Despite my feelings, I rested my face on the pillow and fell asleep. And, in a blink of an eye, I woke up with the sound of my alarm ringing in my ear. I looked at the clock that read 7am and sighed, feeling exhausted. Against my will, I got up. In the way, knocking over the empty plate from my night snack.

I got dressed lazily and shoved some books in my backpack. I stood in front of the mirror and said:

"What's up, you useless fuck?"

I went downstairs, ate a energy bar and hopped on my dad's car. He noticed my eye-bags.

"What's with you today?"

"Nothing" I looked out the window, not interested in whatever was coming from his mouth.

"Yesterday you didn't eat with us, you know how long your mother spent making dinner?" He didn't look away from the the street, he just spoke with his usual stern tone.

"No"

"This better not repeat itself."

"Okay"

"Are you listening to me?!" He screamed suddenly, making me jump.

"Yes! Jesus, I am! I'm not deaf! Just drive the damn car!" I shot back.

"Get out" He stopped the car. We were still some good 10 minutes away from school. I didn't care though, being in that car would be more painful that walking to school the rest of the way. I left the car and slammed the door on him. He gave me an angry look but I didn't care, whatever that look meant was a problem for future me.

I started walking along the nearly empty streets.

And just as I thought, when I arrived at school I was super late. By car it would take around 15 minutes to get school, by foot it would take double. I knocked on the door and once the teacher gave me permission, I entered.

The bell rang and Tweek came to my table. As I was putting my books in my backpack, he looked at me waiting.

"Morning"

"Good morning. How come you were late?" He asked slightly worried.

"Just my stupid dad" I got up and left the classroom with Tweek behind me.

"Daddy issues?" He chuckled. Then he spoke with a more serious voice. "I'm sorry, shouldn't joke about that..."

"It's fine, I am a bad boy with daddy issues afterall" I laughed a bit to him, he joined me.

"Speaking of, guess what my dad agreed to for the ball"

"What?"

"Lending me the car! I'm driving us all to the ball!" He jumped excitedly.

"Do you even have a license?" I asked concerned for the safety of my life.

"Craig has it if we get in trouble. And I'm taking classes, I can basically do it. I just fail the exams because of my anxiety"

Speaking of the devil, Craig showed up and gave Tweek a big hug. Token came next to me while Clyde looked at his phone. Together, we all went to the cafeteria. I didn't speak, afraid of "bumming them out" according to Clyde. I know I shouldn't take to heart what mean people say, but he had touched a insecurity of mine and I just acted the way I would feel less uncomfortable. Token however, turned to me with a sad smile. He whispered quietly.

"Are you okay?"

The others noticed and turned to me. Tweek shared Token's worried look while Craig and Clyde looked annoyed or confused. I immediately spoke to calm them down.

"Of course! Why wouldn't I be?" I laughed with an atrocious fake voice. They all looked at me concerned. "ANYWAYS! I have to go! Homework! Bye!"

I grabbed my things as fast as possible and ran down the hall. I could hear them questioning each other about my sudden actions but I just carried on, ignoring it. I ran and ran until I reached the gym door.

I gasped for air and opened the doors. While walking down the deserted area, I went over what I would say to Kenny. More specifically, how I'd apologize to him after the disaster the previous day.