26- coffee and hugs

He turned to me energetically with an expression full of curiosity and surprise. "I saw him kissing you and I was still pissed so I couldn't talk about it but, like, WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT??"

My body immediately stiffened up again. I started sweating from embarrassment, remembering what had happened. My body fell to the table slowly as I groaned and my cheeks turned red. Tweek shook my shoulders excitedly.

"Tell me everything!!! When did it happen?? How did you even meet?"

His mom came to our table. With a kind smile, she asked softly.

"Can I get you both anything?"

Tweek stopped shaking me and immediately replied.

"One black coffee, please."

She nodded and looked at me.

"Huh, I'll take a hot chocolate."

"I'll be right back then" She smiled. Before leaving, she rested her hand on Tweek's shoulder, got closer to him and whispered. "I'm glad you're friends again."

He waved his hand to shoo her off with a little smile on his face. I took the silence as an opportunity to explain myself.

"So... we met in the beginning of the year"

His face turned so fast towards me I thought it was gonna jump off. His eyes sparkled as he got closer to me. I could feel his excitement, which made me nervous, but also happy to talk more about this newfound relationship that I had kept secret from him for so long.

"At first I thought he was just a weirdo that took naps during the day but eventually we started talking more and more and... well... I guess I started crushing on him a bit"

"Oh wow! I don't think I've seen you crush on anyone before. What's so special about Kenny?"

"I don't know... he's just really nice. And comfortable. I feel safe with him. At home..."

Tweek tilted his head and let out a long "awwwww".

"And he's like, really hot"

"Kenny?" He raised an eyebrow. "Well, to each their own"

"What do you mean?! He is hot! Messy blonde hair, blue tired eyes, adorable little crooked nose with freckles and his stupidly cute smile..."

"Wow, who are you and what did you do to Y/n?" He joked. I didn't find it very funny.

"What do you mean?" My smile dropped a little. I was afraid he might be making fun of me.

"Oh, don't get me wrong! It's really good to hear you talk about him. I'm just not used to you being so open and lovey dovey." Tweek reassured me. He scooched closer to me and put his arm around my shoulders. He smiled gently while looking me deep in the eyes. "I'm really happy for you."

All this attention and affection was a bit overwhelming so I gave him a quick smile and turned my face to the front.

"Well, anyways. On Halloween we danced and kissed and I guess we're dating now"

"On Halloween?" Tweek looked confused.

"Yeah. Not on the actual Halloween night, like, the school ball and stuff. It was the sunday after. We had a private party for just us and his sister's friends. It was very cute. We had matching costumes and everything."

Tweek went back a bit.

"Oh... I'm glad you had fun" He said giving me a forced smile. He sounded almost disappointed.

"What's wrong?" I asked worried.

"I just wish that night hadn't gone the way it did..."

We both thought back to the mess that the Halloween night was. Neither of us liked it but it certainly had had an unfortunate impact on our friendship. It would be easier to just ignore it and pretend it didn't happen but if we didn't address it now,  it would be in the back of our minds for too long until it finally one of us exploded.

"What exactly happened with you and Token?" He asked carefully. I sighed. I don't know if even I knew what had happened.

"We were just dancing. And I thought... I guess maybe I thought he liked me so I told him I didn't feel the same way... I was obviously wrong about that."

"Why did you think he liked you?"

"Am I that unlikeable?" I half joked, a bit hurt to what Tweek was implying.

"No! No, I didn't mean that! Y/n, you know I didn't mean that" He quickly corrected himself. I nodded even though I didn't really believe him.

"I mean, Token is friendly with everyone. Did he act some other way with you?"

"I don't know. I was just thrown off when he didn't have a date for the ball and kept looking at me. And then he wanted to dance and even put his arms around me... And I thought about how he's so nice and patient with me. I don't know, it felt weird for someone to do all of that as just a friend."

"I think you have a hard time believing that people can enjoy being with you without having second intentions... I'm not invalidating what you felt, but it makes a bit sad that you can't see that as just friendly behaviour. And even in the toilets... the way you spoke about him and even me and our friendship. You really aren't a bad person, Y/n. You're not this huge scary monster ruining everyone's life by just being in it. For once, I'm glad to be your friend. And I miss hanging out and talking trash about the teachers and playing games all night and" He chuckled while remembering "and trying to make sense of all those shitty reality shows... And I guarantee, my only intentions are to keep you in my life for as long as I can."

As soon as the last words left his mouth, I was bawling my eyes out. I hugged him tightly with all my strength and love, hoping it would be enough to express how much I appreciated him. Enough to tell him everything I couldn't say using words. He hugged me back.

"Oh! Sorry, loves. I didn't mean to interrupt" His mom was holding a tray with our orders. "I'll just leave this here."

She put our drinks down and a little plate with cookies. Once she left, me and Tweek stared at each other with a mutual understanding and forgiveness. Each one picked up his cup and we dug in. We spent the rest of that afternoon chatting. Catching up and telling stupid jokes we had been wanting to tell each other for a while.

Night came and his parents started closing the shop. I suddenly realised how late it was... I had completely forgot about the strict schedule my parents had imposed on me. I felt my heart beat faster as I realised I should have been home the moment school ended and it had already been at least 2 hours.

"Oh my god, fuck... FUCK FUCK" I grabbed my backpack and hurried to entrance. Tweek noticed this and went after me.

"What's wrong? What happened?" He asked concerned.

"My parents are waiting for me! I should have been home ages ago!"

"What? Why? Is everything okay?"

"Ah, I forgot to tell you! I'm fucking grounded! I don't even have my phone so don't try to text me!" I opened the door and got ready to run for my life. "I'll see you tomorrow if I don't die today!"

I could hear Tweek scream more confused questions while I got further and further away from the shop. As I got closer to my house, my head span more and more with possible outcomes. Maybe they would lock me in my room for a week, or starve me for a month. Hell, maybe they were going to disown me and kick me out of the house!

I stood in front of my door, honestly wondering if there was any point to going in. I could just run away to Kenny's house, hide there with him until I was 18 and could finally live on my own. I'd even get a job to save some money and help Kenny out. We could gather enough to buy a nice little apartment with enough space for just the both of us to live comfortably.

That would be the dream...

I could hear voices coming from inside. I put my ear to the door. Something felt wrong. Besides my parent's voices there were two others... one very familiar...

I put the keys in the lock and turned it. I opened the door slowly. The voices went silent as I stepped inside. I looked up in shock to see my parents sitting at the dinner table across from two people. A man with an expensive suit and a serious expression and his equally intimidating son...

Token...