14- Dancin' cryin'

We stepped inside the school. There were students scattered around the entrance talking. We could hear the loud music blasting from the cafeteria and I could only imagine how my ears would bleed once we got there. I walked behind the group that happily pointed to the poorly made decorations and complimented them. I took out my phone to drown myself on random posts on social media but soon enough Tweek walked slower to catch up to me.

"Hey, you okay?" He asked taking a look at my bored face. I sighed and turned off my phone.

"Yup. You?"

"I'm good. I was just worried cause you're all quiet and on your phone..."

"I'm just nervous, I guess..." I continued walking as the music got louder and louder.

"I get it, I'm pretty nervous too. Being in the middle of so many people, maybe even dancing. It's a disaster waiting to happen" He chuckled with genuine anxiety behind it.

"You'll be fine though, you have your knight in shining armour to keep you company" I looked at Craig in front of us that kept glancing back at Tweek to see if he was okay.

"Ahah, that's true." He waved hello to him and the boy waved back with his monotone expression.

I took out my phone again to see the time. Tweek put his hand over it and looked at me.

"Hey, c'mon, no phones. Let's try to have some fun, okay?" He gave my puppy eyes so I didn't have a choice but to stick my phone back in my pocket on silence. He smiled at my actions and took my hand, leading me to the cafeteria.

That place was unrecognisable. It was all lit up with a huge dancefloor area in the middle and a stage made out of joined tables. The part connecting to the kitchen had all kinds of snacks and drinks for students to take. Some people were already dancing while other sat in the chairs that spread along the walls waiting for the lucky chance to dance with their sweetheart. The place was packed but that didn't stop our little group from swimming through the crowd to reach an empty spot by the trash cans.

"They actually tried this year, huh?" Token looked amazed at the decorative spiders, pumpkins and ghosts hanging from the ceiling.

"Wendy did everything really. And you should have seen the budget they gave her, she is a miracle maker" Red added. Wendy was the president of the student body council and she was probably the best thing that had happened to that school in a while. She cared about the students and stood up against the teachers when they were unfair. In fact, she revived the school's newspaper and got Jimmy Valmer some extra credits for working on it.

"Speaking of the devil, there she is" We all followed Clyde's gaze to see the confident girl grab the microphone on the improvised stage.

"Goodnight South Park students and welcome! I am very happy to see so many of your have decided to join us tonight! You are here to have fun and take a break from school work so I hope you all enjoy this evening. The couple costume contest will begin at eight, don't miss it!" Students started clapping and cheering. She smiled confidently before grabbing the microphone again "And remember that alcohol is not allowed-"

"BOOOO!!!" The crowd shifted from love to hate. Everyone boo'ed her and even threw some paper cups at the stage. She rolled her eyes and left. And as she climbed down the stage, the dj blasted the music on again for everyone to hear.

"Well, that's us" Clyde grabbed Red's hand and joined the huge amalgamation of people dancing uncomfortably close to each other.

I looked at Tweek and Craig that soon after went too and disappeared between the crowd. I looked at Token. He just stood still looking at everyone dancing.

"You're not going to dance?" I got close to him so he could hear my voice.

"Oh no, I'm fine here. But if you want to go I don't mind" He smiled kindly and looked to the front again. I didn't care what he said, his expression of disappointment and his foot beating on the floor along with the music exposed his inner desires to get vibing. "Oh-"

I rolled my eyes, grabbed his hand and walked to the crowd. I knew he always stopped himself from doing what he wanted because of others, and in this case, it was because of me.

When we were deep in it, he gazed around excitedly and looked at me confused.

"Don't think about it too much" I told him looking away.

"WHAT?" He stepped closer trying to hear my voice over the music.

"I SAID DON'T THINK ABOUT IT-" I sighed. "JUST DANCE!"

He nodded and started jumping up and down, moving his arms and legs freely through the small available areas around him. I couldn't help but chuckle at his almost childish behaviour. The way he smiled and moved was so sincere and free of worries, I decided to join him too.

We danced for a while until the music changed to a calmer one. We looked around to see couples holding each other and slow dancing along with the cheesy lyrics. I looked at Token not knowing what to do but he just took my hand and pushed me closer. He put his hands around my waist and moved along with everyone.

"What the- what are you doing?" I asked confused, going along with the dance.

"Might as well join everyone. We're not going to be the sad kids who don't dance, right?" He smiled to me.

I felt my chest stop. It sank in. The way he acted towards me, the way he gave me special treatment and didn't give up on me even though I was incredibly mean and hot headed. The reason he didn't have a date to the ball in general. He wanted to be with me. I was his date. He liked me... It made so much sense. He kept trying and trying to get our friendship higher but I didn't even care because he was just a simple classmate to me. And now, he was dancing with me along to some stupid romantic song while people around us kissed.

"Token, wait" I pulled back from him. He looked at me confused. "We have to talk"

"What do you mean?" He stood still not understanding the situation.

"I'm sorry, but this isn't going to work"  I searched for the right words to say that could hurt him the least. Afterall, I still wanted to have him as a friend. "I don't like you"

"What?" He asked almost offended. "What are you even saying? Where is this coming from?"

"Look, I get it. The reason you didn't come with anyone and why you always act so nice with me. And even now, the dancing and everything..." My palms were staring to sweat while some people around us stopped to look at what was going on. "You're a really good guy but I just don't see you that way."

"Wait, you think I like you? Like, have a crush on you or something?" The way he spoke was new to me. He was angry and annoyed. "Are you kidding me? I didn't come with anyone cause I knew you'd be coming alone and I didn't want to make you feel bad! And the reason I'm nice? Well it's cause that's what friends do, idiot! Something you clearly don't know about!"

"Hey, everything okay here?" Some people walked towards us worried.

"Seriously, open your eyes for once!" He stormed off leaving me mute and frozen in place. People whispered to each other while others laughed. Some random girl came to me and pushed me.

"Go after him! What are you waiting for!"

I just nodded and ran out. I left the cafeteria and searched the hallways for Token but could only find kids making out and some sad loners on their phones. I passed through the toilets and heard familiar voices. I got close to it to hear it better.

"Is he serious? After everything you've done for him? What an pretentious asshole!"