17- The talk

I waited patiently in the back of the restaurant. The strong smell of food mixed with trash made me nearly pass out. The door finally opened and Kenny came in his normal clothes and his hair down. He sighed, took out a cigarette and started smoking in front of me. I kept silent, afraid of saying the wrong thing. We stayed in that disgusting alleyway in silence. He stopped halfway throughs his cigarette and spoke calmly.

"Where were you last night?" He looked at his feet avoiding my eyes with a tone of sadness and anger.

"A lot happened... I swear I didn't want to leave you waiting for so long. I'm sorry I didn't check my phone sooner" I tried coming closer to him but started coughing immediately because of the smoke.

He noticed and quickly finished the cigarette.

"You can tell me what happened now, before I need to go home" He tapped his foot down impatiently.

"So... Huh, where to start..." I knew exactly where to start, when my so-called friends decided to gang up on me. I scratched the skin around my nails and looked around, ashamed to stare at Kenny's blue empty eyes.

"Start in the beginning" Kenny shot back quickly.

I gulped.

"My friends... Well, classmates, they- we had a fight..." My voice grew quieter as I tried to put to words what exactly had occurred that night. I could feel my throat drying up. "It was because of a stupid misunderstanding. I guess it wasn't just that but that started it all. And they all hate me and insulted me and just- just-" I spoke quicker, wanting the explanation to end so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore. "They just spoke like I was some fucking monster who has no feelings. Some manipulative, selfish, egocentric asshole that doesn't d-deserve people around."

I couldn't help but stutter the last sentence out. I tried containing some tears but it was utterly useless. I stared at the floor, aggressively cleaning my eyes with my sleeves. The last thing I wanted was to bother Kenny with my problems like I had apparently done with my previous friends.

"Sorry, I know it's not excuse... I just lost track of time after that" I looked up to Kenny. He was with his hand on his forehead.

"Fuck, I'm so stupid" He slapped his forehead and started shaking his head. "I'm so sorry. I had no idea" He looked at me.

"What? No, you don't-"

"I was acting all tough and mean, thinking you had ghosted me on purpose when you actually- that happened-" He struggle to find the right words to say. "Fuck, I'm a terrible person, I'm sorry Y/n" He was going to reach out to me but stopped midway to shake his head again and slap his forehead.

"Why are you apologizing? I was the one who didn't respond all night!"

"But you were going through a hard moment! I'm the one who should have done something and checked if you were okay!" He shook his hands around frustrated. "If I hadn't stayed hidden like a little kid, this wouldn't have happened"

"What? None of this was your fault!" I answered almost angry.

He just sighed unable to say anything else. He kept looking down chewing on the inside of his mouth.

"Kenny"

He looked up with a pitiful frown.

"I-I'm grateful you care this much... But don't worry about it."

He looked at me for a bit and then pulled me into a hug. I hesitated at first, surprised at his action, but hugged back soon after. He put his arms around me tightly and squeezed me, enough to show me his concern but not enough to hurt. I let my head rest on his shoulder, appreciating the moment. Without moving he spoke again.

"If you want to talk about it, I'm here"

"Thanks" I closed my eyes and sighed. He kept holding me.

After a bit he pulled away. He looked down embarrassed, spinning his foot around itself like a little kid. The silence was bringing the whole mood down. I tried to brighten the conversation up.

"I really liked your outfit. You even painted your face"

"I did! I managed to convince my sister to do my make up" His head shot up with a small smile. "You looked really good! Though I didn't get a proper look..."

"Thanks! It's a shame we didn't get to show off our costumes to everyone" I joked.

"Yeah, all that preparation and we didn't even get to dance" Kenny kicked the air with a disappointed face. I nodded my head, agreeing with him. Then, his face lit up.

"We could dance right now!" He smiled brightly while staring at me expecting my response.

I just looked around the filthy and stinky surroundings. A rat ran by our feet with a piece of bread in it's mouth and hid in the dumpster. I looked back at him with nervous smile.

"Okay, not here" Kenny thought out loud while itching his chin. I just stared curious. "We could meet up and make our own little Halloween dance. I still have the clothes I wore and my sister loved to give me a makeover."

"Oh-" I blushed slightly. His idea resembled a date. I didn't mind at all but I wondered his intentions behind it. "You mean like, just us?"

"Yeah!" He said excitedly. I smiled at his genuine reaction. "Oh and maybe my sister. She really wanted to celebrate Halloween this year and when I told her about the school party she got really sad. I was thinking of organising a small get together with her and her friends."

My hopes of a super romantic date between us reduced as I heard the multiple use of "sister". I nodded with my eyes closed, reading myself to probably babysit.

"That sounds fun" I answered with an almost questioning tone. He just smiled back, happy that I was on board with the idea.

"Can it be tomorrow?"

"TOMORROW?!" My eyes widen. "Isn't that too early?"

"I can fix up my garage real quick and get it all ready" He assured me though I was still unsure. "Can I count on you?"

"Sure!" I nodded incredulous. In the blink of an eye I was already making plans for tomorrow with Kenny. He cheered and started moving.

"Great! I'll go get things ready!" He waved goodbye and ran away into the streets.

I just stood there. I guess I had to get ready for the big event tomorrow.