18- the real party

I got a deja vu as I dressed up again in my Sally costume. The only difference between the last time and now was the sheepish smile on my face. I was over the moon about meeting up with Kenny for our own little private dance. I didn't even mind his sister being there, all I hoped was that she wouldn't be one of those annoying kids and can't do anything by herself.

I also couldn't wait to see where Kenny lived. Not in a stalker way, just pure curiosity. I wondered how his room would look like. For him to sleep at school I guessed his bed shouldn't be that comfortable. Maybe he had a yoga mat in it just like in the gym's storage room.

I grabbed my essentials along with a bag of chips for the "party" and got ready to leave.

"Y/n? Are you leaving?" My mother asked from across the living room.

"Yup" I opened the front door.

"Like that?" She looked me up and down with disgust.

"I'm going to an Halloween party"

"All these parties better not distract you from school work." She mumbled turning her attention to the tv. I frowned annoyed and left, containing my urge to slam the door.

I pulled my phone out and searched Kenny's address. It wasn't far, twenty minutes away, maybe fifteen if I went fast. I started walking happily, wondering if I had seen his house before and didn't even know. In the small town of South Park it was hard not to know where everyone lived. Still, I looked at every house but the gps guided me to keep walking. I reached a sketchy street full of abandoned stores and gulped. Was he tricking me and secretly planing his revenge by killing me in some deserted alleyway? I could only hope not. With the boots I was wearing I would not be able to run.

I kept walking until my phone rang.

"You have arrived at your destination" The robotic voice announced. I looked at the house in front of me.

A one-floor house with dirty walls, destroyed fences and broken windows covered with wood. The ceiling was falling apart on top of the dead grass that filled the entrance of the house. I froze staring at the apocalyptic scenario.

I followed the scattered stones that led to the front door and knocked nervously. I didn't know what scared me more, the possibility of being killed by a random druggie or the possibility that Kenny really lived in these conditions. Unfortunately, one of those was true.

"Welcome!" Kenny smiled to me. The corners of his mouth formed a curious shape with the black lines drawn to resemble a skull. His blue eyes popped out even more in the middle of the big dark circles around his eyes. I looked him up and down, with his fancy tuxedo and bowtie. I could see that he did the same to me, which made me slightly embarrassed.

He raised his eyebrows amazed and opened his mouth, not taking his eyes off of me. "You look absolutely adorable"

"Adorable?" I was a bit disappointed by the choice of words. I would rather be hot than cute to him but still, I couldn't complain. Being complimented by Kenny was always special.

"Yeah! The make up, the clothes, you look super cool" He nodded along with his words. I shook my head.

"You're just being nice, this doesn't look that good"

He rolled his eyes playfully and invited me in to the house. I stepped inside and the smell of alcohol and dust filled the air. There were dirty spots in the carpet and holes in the couch that looked like they were made my a racoon. There were some empty beers hidden under the coffee table. He noticed me analyzing his living room and spoke quickly.

"Ignore this, the party is in the garage. Just follow me"

He opened the backyard door and let me through. There was a small garage with the big sliding door opened full of little Christmas lights hung up on the walls and ceiling. There were two tables inside the garage, one with two small bags of gummies, one bottle of water and one off brand soda and the other with plastic cups, forks and plates. Next to a broken down car was a stereo connected to it's battery.

"Wow..." I took everything in slowly.

"Sorry, I know it's not much but it's what I could do" He scratched the back of his arm ashamed. I justified my reaction immediately.

"No! No! It's nice! I think it looks really cozy. You did a good job" I smiled to him. He was surprised to hear those words but then smiled back with a pink tone on his cheeks. His cute reaction made me squeeze the bag I was holding. "Oh, that's right, I brought chips"

He opened his eyes. "Really?" I handed them to him and he just held them carefully. "Thanks! We only had the gummies Karen's friends brought. This makes it much better" He opened the bag and put a few chips on a plastic plate next to the gummies. I looked around at the empty place.

"Speaking of which... Where is your sister?" I asked, still searching for any sign of children.

"She's getting dressed with her friends in her room. She said she wanted to look perfect for today"

"Aww, that's nice" Suddenly, babysitting didn't seem so bad. He looked to me and then kept fixing the table. I was looking at the vintage stereo carefully.

Suddenly, a skinny hand touched my shoulder. I jumped in fear.

"AHHH!" I turned around immediately. Kenny jumped too, almost letting the bag fall to the ground but catching it at last second. In front of me was a skinny pale lady with short red hair and a frail and tired expression. She took a step back and raised her hands innocently.

"I'm sorry, I didn't meant to scare you"  her soft voice spoke apologetic.

"It's okay, I just wasn't expecting it"

"I'm Kenneth's mother, pleasure to meet you" she gave me a small smile and held out her hand. I took it and shook it politely.

"I'm Y/n, nice to meet you" I replied with the same kindness.

"So you're the Y/n, huh? I was beginning to think I would never get to meet the special boy that keeps my Kenny company at school" Kenny dropped everything and hurried to get her away from me and cover her mouth with both his hands. She laughed loudly. I tried to control my laughter at the adorable scene in front of me. After a lot of struggle, Kenny's mother finally was able to free herself from Kenny's grip.

"Okay, I'll leave you alone. But before that, I just want to take a picture of you two. You look absolutely perfect"

Kenny sighed in defeat. "Here" He handed her his phone and she slowly opened the camera app and pointed it at us. Kenny stood next to me. She didn't move and then looked up with an annoyed face.

"Get closer or you won't fit in the photo" she shot and then hid behind the phone again. Kenny rolled his eyes and took a tiny step closer to me. I looked to him surprised by his sudden shyness.

"Closer than that" she shot back again. He took another tiny step. His mother groaned and walked towards us. She grabbed his arm and put it around my shoulders. She looked for a bit, nodded content and went back to her spot.

"Okay, ready? Three, two, one- cheese!" There was a bright flash and then she handed the phone back to Kenny.

She winked at him. "it's perfect"

He stared at the phone and then turned it off, shoving it in his pocket.

"I want to see" I came closer to him but he just brushed me off, explaining that the battery was dying. I raised an eyebrow not believing but he turned his back to me and went back to the tables.

His mother just laughed and left. I went over to Kenny and kept annoying him.

"I can go charge it if you want"

"I'll charge it later, don't worry about it" He answered quickly.

"Then you'll send me once it's charged?" I put my hands on my hips.

"Hummm... Yeah, maybe" He avoided my eyes and went to check on the stack of cups. I moved to be in front of him and stared him in the eyes.

"If you don't, I'll be really REALLY angry"

He stared back at me with his mouth closed.

He was saved my the door opening and the voices of children cheering and signing.

He turned away and ignored my threat.

"Karen! You're here!"