27- look who it is

My mouth became dry the moment I set my eyes on Token. His gaze went through me like an arrow, straight through my heart. Even though everyone in the table was staring at me with anger and disappointment, Token's hurt the most.

"I'm not even going to bother asking where you've been." My mom interrupted the heavy silence with her snarky comment.

"Sit down, we have to talk." My dad added right after. He motioned towards the lonely chair in the corner of the table, in between my parents and Token and his dad.

I did the walk of shame towards it and buried myself in the chair, hoping to magically sink into it and fall through the floor into an underground world without all this bullshit. But it was like the chair was even more uncomfortable than all the other times I had sat on it. I gathered all my strength to stay still and patiently hear them. A part of me just wanted to get up and throw the chair in my parents' stupid faces and run away.

"I'm so sorry for making you wait all this time, Steve" My mom looked at Token's dad with an apologetic expression and a sweet tone that I had never heard. "He truly is going through a rebellious phase."

"You know kids these days. Still, I must admit that your boy is exemplary in every aspect. He's going far, that one" My dad added. I didn't know if to feel more disgusted at how fake they were being, at how they spoke about me like I wasn't even there or the fact that I had never once seen him speak so highly of me as he did about someone else's kid.

"Oh, you're too kind..." Token's dad was clearly uncomfortable. To be fair, who wouldn't be when being bombarded with compliments from the two fakest people in the world.

"This is exactly why your boy could help us. I know it's a lot to ask but I'm sure we could come to an agreement of some kind." My dad took out his reading glasses and his wallet. I looked very confused at him, and then at my mom. She didn't even look in my direction. Token was still staring at me with a burning hate.

"Please, you don't need to do anything in return. I'm sure my boy would be happy to help out a classmate" The kind man politely refused while smiling awkwardly.

"What is happening? What are you guys talking about?" I finally asked.

"The adults are talking! Don't you know it's rude to interrupt?" My mom shot back with an angry face. Regardless to say that nobody bothered to fill me in on what was happening. I just kept quiet while they continued, grasping at my jeans underneath the table.

"So, can you start tomorrow already? Y/n is so unpredictable, the sooner the better, you know? He might decide to get in a train and leave town if we let him out of our sight." My dad laughed loudly, maybe to convince the others that his joke was indeed funny. My mom laughed as well and nodded, agreeing with him. Both Token and his dad looked very uncomfortable.

"Y/n, thank the Blacks for their kindness."

"What? I don't even know what-"

"Y/N!" My mom shouted.

"Thank you?" I said quietly, looking at both of them. It was more of a question but it seemed that it was enough for my parents.

"Well, it was great to have you here. We'll talk more soon" My parents got up and headed to the door. Token's dad followed and kept reassuring them that it really was no bother, whatever it was that he was doing. Token held back a bit and looked at me. His expression was confusing. A mix between surprised and concerned. His dad called out for him and he snapped out of it, going back to his angry stance.

Once they left, my parents sat back down with me. One of each side. Now, it was the real talk.

"Somethings are going to have to change around here." My dad crossed his arms and looked down at the table.

"Firstly, we are extremely disappointed in you. How dare you not come home right away? I thought we had discussed that you are grounded!"

"It was foolish of us to trust him. If he misbehaved one time, obviously he would do it again."

"You guys are being so unfair! I could have been in an accident or something!" I tried to defend myself.

"You 'guys'? We are not one of your friends for you to be talking to us like that." My mom corrected me. "And you weren't in any accident so there's no point in lying."

"I could have been! You didn't even ask or cared to check why I was late!"

"Well, were you?" My dad asked coldly. I gulped. I wanted so bad to lie and say that I was. Tell them that I had been in terrible danger and couldn't call anyone thanks to their stupid idea of taking my phone away. But knowing my parents, I knew they would find a way to see through it and insult even further.

"No..." I sighed. "But I could have-"

"Enough of this. As we were saying, starting tomorrow, after school, Token will be keeping you company at school, making sure you study, until your dad can pick you up. As you know, he's the best student in your class and he will be a great influence on you."

I looked at both them, expecting some kind of signal that it was a joke. Nothing.

"You're kidding me."

"Go to your room. Me and your mom have to talk in private."

I was speechless. I got up and started heading upstairs, trying to disgest this huge chunk of information. Yet another crazy punishment, this time involving fucking Token of all people. Hell, make me wait with Tweek or Kenny, not the guy who wanted to punch my guts last time we spoke.

I closed the door to my bedroom and silent screamed all type of insults to my parents, presenting a good ol' middle finger to go with them. Full of rage, I went under my covers and eventually fell asleep.