5- The routine

It became a routine for me to go to that abandoned place and read my usual books. And of course, Kenny also become part of that. He started waking up earlier and I stopped reading that much. And weirdly enough, we spent a lot of time chatting. I didn't mind, it was a nice break from the boring school stuff.

"What are you doing?" I asked not even looking back.

Kenny was hanging upside down besides me, slowly sliding down to the floor. I finally turned my head to face him and caught the exact moment his head bumped the floor.

"Ouch"

"Pffft-" I tried to hide a laughter but miserably failed. Instead of being offended, he laughed too rubbing the hurting spot. He sat correctly next to me.

"What was that?" I asked still trying to hide a smile.

"A failure..." He rubbed his head a bit more.

"Hmmm... Yes I could see"

"Changing topics, what are you reading today?" He got closer to look at my book. I backed away a bit embarrassed, regaining my personal space. 

"I'm actually studying. I'm going to have a test today. History."

"Lucky you, my best subject is history."

"Really? What grades do you have?" I raised an eyebrow smirking. He didn't give me the vibes of a good student.

"Hey, it's my best subject, doesn't mean I'm the best at it."

"Yeah I bet"

"What is that supposed to mean?" He chuckled curious.

"Well..." I closed my book carefully. "Let's just say, you don't strike me as the smartest student in the class."

He gasped while making an exaggerated face. He then mouthed "really?" still in shock.

"Might not be the smartest but I have decent grades. I pass each year so I can't complain, ya know?" He went back to his chill attitude.

"Don't you get constantly annoyed by your parents because of it though?"

"Not really... No"

"Lucky. My parents annoy the shit out of me if I bring home an A-"

"Ahah, strict parents, couldn't be me"

"How are your parents?" I looked to his eyes that faced the floor lost in thought.

"They are normal... Normal parents I guess"

The conversation died down after that, I quickly tried to change topics to avoid an awkward silence to settle.

"So, why are you tired all the time?"

"Tired? I'm fine" He looked confused.

"What I mean is why you sleep here. In the middle of the day- Do you even eat lunch?"

"Sometimes, when I get the chance to."

"What?!" I put my book down and went full on dad mode. "Did you eat today?"

"No"

"Why?!"

He just shrugged.

"Hold up" I grabbed my backpack and searched around my pockets.

"W-what are you doing?" He chuckled nervously. He leaned forward trying to understand what I was doing.

"Okay, it's not much but it's what I got" I took out a ham sandwich that I was saving for the next break. I held it out for him to pick it up. He hesitated.