Chapter 30

Logan

On the entire ride back home, I could feel her heart beating against my back. The combination of the freezing cool air, her hands around my stomach, pressing us closer, and her head leaning on my shoulder keeps me higher than the clouds.

Tonight has been extraordinary. I don't think I've ever just sat down with someone to watch the stars. And somehow, the simplicity of being still while the universe goes on illuminating a sky of gazillion planets is so liberating. It makes me realize how insignificant I am, eliminating the extent of my anguish in the process.

When we finally get to Adam's place, my heart squeezes a tiny bit. Never have I ever looked at a place and subsequently felt that it was home. But this, it feels an awful lot like home. Warmth spreads in my stomach once I realize that I'll go in with Em, probably watch TV and eat junk food rather than finding the place empty.

I remove my helmet and help Em remove hers as well.

I tap my motorcycle dramatically, "Farewell, you've been a wonderful companion, my friend."

She rolls her eyes. "Bro, you've only had this thing for like two weeks."

"Did you just call me bro?"

She is taken off guard for a split second before shrugging. "So?"

I take a step closer, until she's pressed against the motorcycle. Until my nose touches hers. Until her hand grasps my elbow. I can sense her holding her breath as my lips graze her ear. I bite her outer ear, before moving down to her jaw and the sensitive spot right between her jawline and neck. She tilts her head, her hands holding on to my hair as she lets out a soft moan. Fuck, that sound is enough to make me hard.

"You see, sweetheart, a bro won't make your breath hitch like I do," I whisper softly in her ear.

She arches her back involuntarily, and I press myself against her, wanting her to feel what she does to me - how fucking turned on I am just from her frantic breaths. However, instead of being met by more hair pulling and breathless moans, she pushes me away and jumps to the other side of the motorcycle.

What a fucking tease. "The fuck, Em?"

I soon realize that she's actually panicking and not just messing with me. "What? What happened? Did I go too fast-"

"Adam. Adam's here."

Oh. Oh. Right, his car is here.

Why did we stop again?

When I walk closer to her, she pushes me away. "No, Logan, Adam's here. Okay? I can't do this. Do you think he saw us or something?"

Annoyance hits me. Or jealousy. Or maybe both. Why does she care what Adam thinks, anyway? Like, I get it, he's her roommate and best friend and shit but still. I just shake my head and walk towards the front door. "Whatever."

Before I can take out my keys to open it, Adam opens it. Oh, and he looks like he's going to murder me.

"I can explain," Em says immediately but his gaze is focused on me. Fuck, I mean, he did say that Em is off limits but I didn't take it so seriously. Besides, I swear, she's not just a hookup.

He leaves the door open before walking back inside the living room. Emily is panicking; she runs after him, leaving me even more annoyed than I was. I close the door and walk to the living room where Adam's whispering something to Em.

Her face turns white as a sheet.

"What is happening?" I ask.

She gulps, and he lets out a long exhale. "Logan, what did you say to Jade?"