Chapter 5

Emily

Emily

I stop the car and wait for Logan to step out. Once he closes the door behind him, he turns towards me and realizes that I'm still inside.

"You're not coming?"

"I'm using the backdoor. Just walk inside and ask for Josh."

He frowns. "Are you ashamed to be seen with me or something?"

"Yes. Especially when you're wearing sneakers without socks and another NYU hoodie."

He rolls his eyes. "Fine, your loss."

Okay, sure, it's embarrassing to walk inside with someone who's dressed like a skater boy, but the real reason why I don't want to walk with him is that I think I might have my period and Melanie, my assistant, is going to meet me in the parking lot to give me some painkillers.

I really don't need Peter Pan to realize that I have my period on.

I park my car and spot her pink hair right away. I've been working with Melanie for the past two years. Although she's in her late twenties and the age difference between us is around six years, we've still grown really close.

She's always here early, has a really good memory, and can organize all the messy drafts that I put together. I can say that we're a good team with confidence.

She grins when she sees me. "You look like shit."

"I got my period this morning and I'm dying. You know Adam's 'no-painkillers' policy."

"Yikes. There you go." She hands me two pills and some water.

After gulping them, I thank her and return the bottle of water.

"Actually, can I have the whole bottle?"

She hesitates for a second. "Em, I don't think that's a good idea."

"I promise I'll be careful... it's just that the first day is always the worst and I'm going climbing in two days so I might need them again."

She groans. "Ugh, fine. I hate that I can't say no to you sometimes."

I give her a tight hug. "You're the best."

"So, Sabine just texted me that a really cute guy came in asking for Josh."

Ugh, Sabine. Here we go. Sabine is this actress-wanna-be who's only working here to make enough money to spend her weekends auditioning. She's okay-ish but I don't trust Hollywood-wanna-be's.

"And like, apparently, he's Josh's new secretary. He's from New York and here for the summer- Wait, why are you not surprised?"

Before I can say anything, her jaw drops. "Oh my God. Is he Adam's nephew that you had to show around yesterday?"

"Yep."

"Oh my God, Em. I totally hate you right now for not telling me!! This is so exciting. He's living with you too!"

I just shake my head, knowing exactly where this is going. "Mel, I love you but you seriously have to stop fangirling. I can see that you're getting ideas, but I reassure you that pigs are more likely to fly."

She squeals again once we leave the elevator. This is going to be so painful. I can just picture it: Logan walking around in the office, giving his annoying sexy smirk to Melanie and Sabine, and then charming Josh with his lame jokes and - Ugh. I'm not emotionally ready for this. I hate attractive people.

"Good morning, sunshine," Josh greets happily. "Why do you look like you're plotting someone's murder in your head?"

"Because I am? It's yours, and Adam's, and his," I grumble as I look at Logan, who's already mingling with Melanie and Sabine. I'm not sure I can take any high-pitched laughter today. Not to mention that my cramps are getting worse by the second.