Chapter 53

Emily

"So, have you planned something for Logan's birthday?" Adam asks as we pause to take in the breath-taking view that never fails to amaze me. 

I shake my head. "Not yet. I was thinking of just having a low key barbecue before heading to the beach."

"That would be nice. Certainly easier to clean up than having a bunch of people over."

"Exactly. I might just invite the boys from the football team since Sabine is travelling and Melanie is in Beirut."

"I'm sure he's going to love whatever you end up planning. He's got it bad for you, I've literally never seen him this way before."

I smile to myself. The last two weeks have truly been wonderful. We spent every second of every day together. He has been surprisingly getting so much better at work too. He's always coming up with new ideas and prepares the documents needed before every meeting. 

My heart warms up just at the thought of him. I unconsciously look at my watch just because I'm already starting to miss him and I low-key just want to go back home. 

The truth is that I've been worried that his birthday will be a trigger for him to remember. I want to make it as much of a distraction as I possibly can, and just make sure that there's no space for him to even think about that night...

"Speaking of special things, I was thinking of making my special lasagna for tonight. You up for it?" Adam asks, shaking me out of my thoughts. 

"I'm always up for lasagna. Besides, it's Logan's favorite food too."

"Alright, let me check with Logan if we have some of the veggies," He says as he takes his phone out and calls him. 

I take a deep breath as the dialing sound fills the silence between us before it dies out. 

"Why am I absolutely sure that he's probably still asleep?" Adam whines as he returns his phone to his bag. 

"Because he most probably still is. Anyway, the sun is starting to hit pretty hard so we better go back before we get sun-burned."

We hike back down the trail and just talk about everything. It's the moments like these ones that truly make me realize how lucky I am to have Adam by my side. I can talk to him about everything and anything. 

He tells me about some of his patients in the hospital, how his week went, and his plans for the next few days. We talk about dinner ideas and recipes that we want to try, his upcoming trip to New York City, and the fact that I'm going back to school in the fall. 

By the time we get home, I'm in such a good mood. I feel so much lighter, especially because I'm just at a point where everything is going so well in my life. 

As Adam juggles his keys, I realize that I forgot my phone in the car. "Oh, shoot, my phone must have slipped into my seat."

Adam hands me his car keys before going inside the house. I quickly get my phone and lock the car. 

The first thing that I notice when I walk inside is that the house is awfully quiet. It's already two, so it's very unlikely that Logan is still sleeping. 

"Babe, we're home," I call out as I pop my head into the living room. 

Nope, he's not there. 

I'm going to kill him if he's still sleeping. I go inside my bedroom and frown when I notice that the bed is made. 

Logan never makes the bed. Ever. And he's not in there either. "Logan?" I peek inside my bathroom. No one. 

His bedroom door is closed so I knock twice before just going in. My jaw drops when I take in the tidiness of the room. Holy crap, did Logan clean up this space?