Chapter 1. Unexpected encounter.

Nathaniel's P.O.V

I loved the way my relationship with Xander was going. He talked to me every day during lunch. Xander had told me on Friday that he was going to a relative's house with his parents on Saturday. I decided to concentrate on my job while Xander was away. The younger kids in my neighborhood knew that I was good at fixing stuff. They knew that I liked to hang out in an abandoned park when I was free. They visited me while I was there and asked me to fix their toys. I even had to fix a laptop for a kid once. The boy had spilled lemonade on his father's computer while he was away.

I sighed when I saw how many kids needed my help. It took me some time to fix all the toys and phones. I decided to go home when I saw that it was getting late. One of my mother's maids approached me the moment I walked through the door. The maid looked at me with pity then said, "I'm sorry, Nathaniel." I put my bag down, then asked the maid, "What's wrong, Carla?" The maid sighed, then answered me with, "Your family left for Hawaii this morning. Your mother didn't notify us that you were staying home. We didn't cook today, son. I can order something for you if you like."

I grabbed my bag, then said to Carla, "That won't be necessary, Carla. I'm going to a fast-food restaurant. I'll see you in the morning." I ran out of the house as fast as I could. It wasn't the first that my family had forgotten that I existed. "They probably think that I have enough fat to survive the whole year," I thought to myself while taking a seat on a bench. I cried my eyes out while thinking about how cruel my parents were. I didn't even eat that much. I didn't understand why I was this big. I wiped my tears away, then walked to a fast-food restaurant.

The girl at the register scrunched up her nose when she saw me. I knew what she was thinking but ignored her. I bought what I wanted to eat and drink, then went to the abandoned park. No one visited the park because it was too close to the woods. Bobcats tended to roam free around the park. I gazed at the sky while enjoying my food. I had just finished eating when I heard a loud bang. There was a street behind me. I quickly turned around to see if someone had crashed into something. I jumped off the table when I recognized the car. Mr. Oswald's driver had smashed his car against a utility pole. The man was unconscious. I was just about to check up on him when a car skidded to a halt right next to the vehicle.

My body began trembling when two men jumped out of the car with guns in their hands. I gasped when one of the men dragged Xander out of the vehicle. Xander was also unconscious. There was blood on his face. The man threw Xander on the ground, then pointed his gun at him. I would never let anyone kill the love of my life. I grabbed a branch and charged at the men. The men got startled and stumbled to the ground. I knocked them out before they could get up. I dragged Xander away when I heard another car coming. One of the men regained his consciousness. He got up, then yelled, "You will die with him tonight, fatso!"

I carried Xander to the only place I knew he would be safe. I laid Xander down in the shed, then went to fetch some water to clean his face. I hid behind a tree when I saw one of the gunmen. It seemed like the criminals were desperate to finish their job. I groaned when I recognized Xander's uncle. I now knew who was behind the attack. I knew the area like the back of my hand. I filled a bottle of water by a creek, then ran back to the shed.

I grabbed a cloth, then cleaned Xander's face. Xander, fortunately, only had a cut by his right eyebrow. There was no signal in the woods, and Xander was still unconscious. I had to find a way to contact the police. I could hear footsteps outside the shed. The criminals were too close for my liking. I stayed as quiet as I could. Xander opened his eyes suddenly, then asked me, "Where am I?" I quickly put my hand on his mouth to silence him. Xander looked in disgust at me. He pushed my hand away, then crawled into the corner of the shed. Xander gazed at all his photos while hugging his knees. I should have had gotten rid of them, but I was too busy saving Xander's life.