Chapter 17. Separation Part 4

Xander's P.O.V

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay. I have been having some technical difficulties. I will sort it out soon. Don't worry. Enjoy reading.

My parents and I had only invited close family and friends to my grandmother's funeral. I was happy to see Caleb and Dahlia. They already knew about Elijah. I didn't have to hide my son from them. They were not like the people I knew. Dahlia helped my mother through the strenuous process. I wasn't surprised when Caleb told me that Nathan was in a relationship with Luke. I had already decided to leave Nathan alone. He had the right to date whoever he wanted. I almost cried when Dahlia gave me the condolence card. I had mistreated Nathan. I didn't expect him to show me compassion. I guess it's true when people say, "The innkeeper trusts his guests like he is himself." I didn't forgive people easily, and everyone knew that.

My parents, Caleb, and Dahlia gathered in the garden after my grandmother's funeral. I decided to join them. I frowned when Caleb told me that he hadn't given the file to Nathan yet. I sighed, then asked Caleb, "What are you afraid of, Caleb? The money belongs to Nathan. He has a right to know about it." Caleb looked at his wife, then responded to me with, "We don't want to trigger Nathan's abandonment trauma, Xander. We found out that Nathan's parents purposefully pushed him away. They were hoping that the boy would leave the house and never return. How do you think Nathan would react if he discovered why his biological parents hated him so much? Nathan is already stressed out. He is trying to come up with a new car design. Our son has suffered a lot. He doesn't need any more emotional baggage. I will tell him everything when the time is right."

I shook my head, then uttered before tending to my child, "I hope that you two know what you are doing, Caleb. I have already accepted my fate. I'm okay with Nathan hating me for all of eternity." Elijah was super cranky that night. He cried when I tried to put him to bed. I asked my mother to calm him down. I sighed in relief when the child finally closed his eyes. I gazed at the stars from Elijah's window. I was planning to work full-time soon. I needed to find a nanny for Elijah. My mother had things to do. It would be hard for her to look after the boy alone. The problem was that I didn't trust anyone. I didn't want my son to go through the things I did when I was young. Dahlia and Caleb left Spain two days after the funeral. They needed to be home for Krista and Nathan.

Martin hired an experienced nanny from England. The woman was in her forties. I wanted to be close to my son. So I worked from home most of the time. I was over the moon when Elijah took his first steps. My mother filmed it and sent it to Krista. Caleb, Dahlia, and Krista immediately called to congratulate Elijah. The little boy didn't understand what was going on. But he was happy with all the attention he was getting. Elijah giggled when Krista made funny faces at him. Elijah had just turned one when I received an invitation to a charity event. I wanted to give something back to the community. I decided to attend the party with my father. We were on our way back to the mansion when we got hit by a truck.

Anyone could see that it was intentional. My father, fortunately, didn't get hurt. I hit my head against the window and lost consciousness. I had a massive headache when I woke up. I couldn't see from one of my eyes either. The doctor ordered a brain scan. My parents were devastated when they heard that I had suffered a mild brain injury. The doctor put me in a coma for a few days to keep the swelling down. I had trouble speaking when I woke up. Nathan's face instantly flashed into my mind when the doctor told me that I needed surgery. I wanted to see him so bad.

My injury was fortunately not as severe as the doctor thought. I went to therapy and recovered after a month. I hugged my son tightly after I got out of the hospital. The police discovered that the attack was a case of mistaken identity. They had already captured the gang that was involved in the attack. The criminals confessed everything when they heard who they had attacked. I didn't believe the men. I stayed out of the limelight to protect my family. I only relaxed when Martin told me that the police were correct. The attack had nothing to do with me. I decided to take things slow after escaping death. I had trouble concentrating. I had no other choice than to hire another assistant to support me.