Chapter 40. Safe haven

Nathan's P.O.V

I was shocked when my mother told me my biological father and sister had died. I was curious about how they had perished. My mother didn't share the information with me. I could sense that Xander had something to do with their deaths. I was happy when Xander told me what had transpired. I was tired of staying in the hospital. I had recovered and didn't want to burden Xander and my family any longer.

I sighed while eating breakfast in bed. My mother was busy folding my freshly washed clothes. My father was checking his emails in the corner of the room. I put my spoon down when my father groaned. I ran my fingers through my hair, then asked my father, "How are things going at the company, dad?" My father sat next to me and stroked my head. He smiled and replied, "Everything is fine, Nathan. Concentrate on your recovery. Your uncle, Carter, and I will take care of the rest."

I put my head down, then stated, "Please, don't lie to me, dad. I don't want you guys to lose what you have worked so hard for." My mother kissed my forehead and said, "Your father is telling the truth, son. Your uncle and Carter stepped up to the plate. They governed matters in our absence. Things have been running smoothly at the company because of them." My father threw his arm around me, then declared, "Stop worrying about unnecessary things, Nathan. You and Krista are the most important things in our lives. We could always earn back the money we lost, but we could never get you guys back. We wish we knew how to keep you guys safe and happy for all eternity."

I hugged my parents, then declared, "You guys are amazing. I want to be born as your biological child next time. I love you guys with my whole being. I will never make you guys cry again." My mother stroked my back and uttered, "We love you too, son. Xander told me that you still suffer from headaches. Get some rest before one of the nurses scolds you." I nodded and walked into the bathroom to freshen up. My parents were in the family room when I returned. I could hear them discussing matters with Xander's parents. I greeted Xander's parents, then went to bed. I was about to close my eyes when Xander walked into the room. He took off his suit jacket and shoes. He climbed into bed and said, "I'm tired, babe. Can I lie down next to you for a while?"

I opened my arms for Xander and replied, "Come. I'll take your fatigue away." Xander kissed my cheek, then fell asleep on my chest. I fell into a deep sleep while stroking Xander's head. I woke up after a few hours. I decided to read a comic book while Xander was asleep. I got startled when Zion walked into my room with his team. He gazed at Xander and stated, "I didn't know Xander was here. I would have otherwise visited you earlier. I need to talk to you both about something. Should I come by later? I don't want to disturb Xander." I wondered why Zion was so concerned about Xander. I composed myself when I saw Zion's wedding ring.

I sighed and declared, "You don't need to tire yourself out for us, doctor. Other patients need your attention. Give me a minute. I'll wake up, Xander." Zion stuck his hands in his pockets, then gazed at me. I kissed Xander's forehead, then uttered, "Babe." Xander hummed and rubbed his face on my chest. The nurses gasped when Xander kissed my neck. I cupped Xander's face and said, "The doctor is here to talk to us, darling." Xander asked me without opening his eyes, "Which one?" I kissed Xander softly and replied, "Zion is here, Xander." Xander huffed and declared, "Send him back. We can talk after lunch." The nurses chuckled while looking at Zion.

Zion groaned, then stated, "And what if it's about something important?" Xander opened his eyes and replied, "Go ahead. I'm listening." I patted Xander's cheek, then said, "Why don't you freshen up first." Xander jumped off the bed and walked into the bathroom. He glared at Zion when he returned and stated, "Stop dilly-dallying and tell us what happened." Zion grinned and declared, "Nathan can go home in the afternoon. He still suffers from headaches, so I advise him not to fly for the time being. I will get the discharge papers ready. You have my contact information. You can call me whenever you want."