Chapter 20. United at last

Xander's P.O.V

You can't imagine how happy I was to see Nathan. I had been dreaming about him the whole week. I thought that no one was around at the venue. That is why I let Elijah roam free. Kevin wanted to step in when he saw Elijah in Nathan's arms. I grabbed his shoulder then said to him, "The boy is safe, Kevin. The man won't harm my child." Kevin disagreed with me, but he didn't say anything. I couldn't take my eyes off Nathan. He still looked good in his mechanic's jumpsuit, and even better holding my son! Nathan got confused when he heard that Elijah was my son.

I knew that Caleb, Dahlia, and Krista shared details about my life with Nathan. I was surprised when I found out that they hadn't informed him about Elijah. Caleb told me that he didn't want to betray my trust. And I appreciated it. I decided not to meddle with Nathan's private life when he got into a relationship with Luke. I was content with watching Nathan from afar. I was over the moon when Nathan hugged me. I thought that he would be apprehensive. I was glad that I was wrong. It felt great to be close to Nathan again. It was also nice to see Carter. He had always welcomed me with open arms. I hadn't repaid him for his kindness yet.

Nathan let me go when he realized that everyone was watching us. I got frustrated when I remembered that Nathan belonged to someone else. Kevin got disappointed when he saw how much fun Elijah was having. The man thought that the boy would run away from the stranger. He didn't know what kind of bond I had with Nathan. I sighed then said to Kevin, "Nathan is an old friend of mine, Kevin. I trust him with my life. He will never share my secret with anyone." Kevin nodded, then stated, "I understand, sir." Kevin observed Nathan then asked me, "Isn't he the famous car gadgets developer Nathan Dalton, sir?" Martin patted Kevin's back and declared, "Nathan is not only a world-renowned creator but an exceptional mechanic as well. There is nothing that he can not fix. Oh, and watch what you say about him in front of Krista and her parents. Nathan is Caleb's eldest child."

Kevin looked at me in shock. He was probably struggling to understand why he hadn't met Nathan before. Krista and her parents visited us every other weekend. Nathan hadn't set foot in my house since I had hired Kevin. I smiled when Elijah kissed Nathan's cheek. It seemed like my son was already attached to the object of my affection. I felt empty after Nathan left. Elijah kept talking about Nathan and the Jaguar on our way home. I was too distraught to listen to my son. I wondered how long it would take me to get over Nathan. Krista had told me that everything was going well between Nathan and Luke. I sighed and asked myself if I would be ever able to accept someone else.

Elijah fell asleep before we got home. He already had snacks in the car, so I didn't disturb him. I wiped his body clean with a wet towel then put him to bed. I didn't feel like eating anything that night. I decided to enjoy a bottle of whiskey on my room's balcony. I tried to drink my sorrows away, but Nathan kept popping up in my mind. I groaned when I heard my mother say, "It's time to move on, Xander. Elijah needs someone who he can lean on when you are not here. He's getting older. He will soon start asking you questions about why you are never happy. Elijah deserves to know why his father is living like a widower." I frowned when I heard my father chuckle.

I got up then said to my parents, "You guys are part of the problem, dad. You guys keep filling his head with these romantic stories. What's wrong with me taking my time to find a suitable partner?" My mother gasped then asked me, "You met Nathan today, didn't you, Xander?" I gazed at the sky, then answered my mother with, "Yes, mom. He is still as astonishing as ever. Elijah fell in love with him immediately." My father stroked my back, then said, "We want you to be happy, Xander. You can't wait for Nathan any longer. He has a kind and loving partner already. Who knows, maybe they will get married soon."

I scowled, then stated, "It doesn't matter, dad. I have the right to love whoever I want. And why are you two bothering me with this issue today, anyway? You guys had never been interested in my love life before." I huffed when I heard my mother say, "We asked Jessica why you hadn't visited your foreign companies in a long time, Xander. She told us that it was because of our grandchild. Elijah doesn't like to travel. According to her, he cries during the whole flight. We couldn't believe that you had neglected your duties because of such a minor detail. We understand that we are getting old and that you don't want to burden us. But this can't go on any longer, son. You have to find someone who you can trust with Elijah. Someone who will treat him like their own child while you are away."