Chapter 39. Retribution

Xander's P.O.V

Please check out my new story, guys.

Nathan kept on coughing and squirming. Caleb pushed the nurse call button, then stroked Nathan's back. I looked in fear at Nathan. I asked myself if one of his broken ribs hadn't pierced his lungs. Dahlia ran into the room with Zion. Zion pushed me away and stated, "I have to sedate him. The stitches will rupture if he keeps moving." I realized I was crying when a tear rolled down my cheek. Nathan grabbed my hand and said, "I'll be fine, babe. I promise."

Zion grasped Nathan's wrist, then declared, "You should stop talking now, sir." I watched the nurses push Nathan's hospital bed out of the room. My mother hugged me, then uttered, "Stay strong, darling. Nathan is going through hell. He nevertheless gathered all his remaining strength to console you." I wiped my tears and replied, "Thank you, mom." My mother and the others went to the waiting room. Nathan was undergoing numerous tests.

I was furious. No one would want to see a loved one in pain. There was no use in keeping Nathan's biological father and sister alive. I grabbed my phone, then called Martin. Martin instantly answered his phone. I frowned when Martin said, "Steven's health has deteriorated, sir. He has diabetes and needs his medication." I huffed, then stated, "Forget about him. Put the plan in motion. I want to execute it tonight." Martin contemplated, then declared, "I can sense that Nathan's life is in danger. I'll get everything ready. I will see you tonight."

I was about to turn off my phone when Jessica called me. Jessica greeted me, then said, "Damion Jacobs has been calling us constantly, sir. He wants to know if you are involved in the disappearance of his father and sister." I shook my head, then replied, "Tell the operators to block all his calls. I will deal with him later." I made some arrangements with Jessica, then turned off my phone. I tried to calm myself down while walking toward the waiting room. The kids were fortunately home. Krista had online classes to attend. Elijah stayed home to keep her company.

I made sure I looked presentable, then walked into the waiting room. I sat next to Dahlia and grabbed the crying woman's hand. Dahlia put her head on my shoulder, then said, "My son never did anything to hurt anyone, Xander. He doesn't deserve this." I threw my arm around Dahlia, then uttered, "I know, mother." The examination room's door flew open, and Zion walked out of it. He approached me and declared, "Nathan's lungs are fine. It was a peptic ulcer that caused him to cough up blood. I suggest keeping him sedated for the time being. It will help him heal." Caleb grabbed Dahlia's hand and said, "Just do what's best for our child."

Zion turned to me and expressed, "You can see him in a minute." A nurse called me into the room after they had finished tending to Nathan. I had to control my emotions when I saw Nathan. His face was blue, and he was lying lifeless. I kissed Nathan's forehead and uttered, "Don't ever scare me like that again, sweetheart. We will get married no matter what you say. I will get rid of your doubts and fears. Don't worry. We will have the life you always wanted." I nodded when a nurse said, "It's time to take the patient back to his room, sir." Nathan was unresponsive for the rest of the day.

It was eight pm. It was time for me to execute my plan. I kissed Nathan softly, then grabbed my jacket. Dahlia and Caleb hadn't left Nathan's side since he returned. I put my hand on Caleb's shoulder and said, "Let's go see Steven and Theresa." Dahlia grabbed her bag and declared, "I can't wait to confront them." My parents stayed behind to look after Nathan. Caleb stepped out of the car first when we reached the warehouse. He looked around and said, "You chose an excellent place to build a warehouse, Xander."

I smirked and replied, "I needed a place to hide my crimes." Dahlia gasped and asked, "Are you telling us that you have been visiting this place regularly, Xander?" I nodded and stated, "Yes, I was hoping to meet Nathan. It was his favorite place to be when we were young. Follow me. It's time to meet the culprits." Theresa jumped up when she saw me. She scowled, then yelled, "How long do you plan to keep us here? Don't you care that my father is dying, you brute?" Caleb frowned and asked, "Is she the one who attacked my son?"