Chapter 5. Xander Oswald Part 2

Xander's P.O.V

I went to greet Caleb Dalton and his wife after talking to Nathan. Caleb's wife, Dahlia, recognized me instantly. She smiled, then asked me, "Aren't you Victoria Bell's son?" I nodded, then answered Dahlia with, "Yes, ma'am. My mother often took me to my great-grandmother's house when I was little. Lia was always there whenever I visited her. My parents are in Spain right now. I came to pay my respect in their stead." Dahlia grabbed my hand, then said, "Thank you for coming, son. We truly appreciate it."

Caleb patted my back, then stated, "I wish that I knew that you were family sooner, Xander." I smiled at Caleb, then said to him, "It's alright, sir. It's at occasions like these that we find out who we are related to." I took a seat in the back. I kept an eye on Nathan from where I was sitting. Nathan had disappeared with Krista and her dog after talking to his mother. They returned to the funeral home after almost an hour. Nathan looked a lot better now. I heard him say to one of his friends that he went to have lunch with his sister. Nathan got busy after a while. I had noticed that the dog followed him everywhere. Everyone was familiar with the dog. People would usually be afraid of such a powerful dog. Nathan took a seat next to his father when the ceremony began. He helped Krista deliver a meaningful speech. Everyone had been invited to a restaurant to celebrate Lia's life after the funeral was over. I hadn't planned to visit the restaurant, but I changed my mind. I wanted to observe Nathan for a little longer.

I got seated with an elderly couple at the restaurant. The couple was too busy chatting away with their family members to bother me. I was glad because it gave me more time to concentrate on Nathan. Nathan made sure that everyone was happy and satisfied with their meals. I chuckled when he asked me, "Would you like to sit somewhere else, sir?" I smiled at Nathan, then responded to him with, "No, Nathan. I'm fine where I am." Nathan grabbed a glass and a bottle of whiskey, then asked me, "Did you drive here, sir?" I shook my head, then answered Nathan with, "No, my driver is waiting for me outside." Nathan placed the glass and the bottle of whiskey in front of me, then stated, "Here you go, sir. You deserve it. No one can stand those two chatterboxes over there." The elderly woman yelled, "Nathan!" when she heard Nathan's remark.

Nathan blew a kiss at her, then walked away. I frowned when I heard the elderly man say, "I wonder what Caleb and Dahlia would do without Nathan. All their prayers have been answered since Nathan joined the Dalton family." I drank my whiskey and observed Nathan. Everyone seems to be talking about him. Caleb's daughter had fallen asleep in her father's arms. Caleb had trouble holding the child. Nathan took the little girl, then laid her down on a sofa. He put a few chairs around the couch to make sure that no one bothered the little girl. I could see why everyone was so envious of Dahlia and Caleb.

Who wouldn't want to have someone who fulfilled all their needs? It was getting late, so I decided to go home. My hands were dirty. I decided to wash them before leaving. I walked towards the bathroom to rinse my hands. I didn't notice the do not disturb sign on the door handle. Jax barked at me the moment I opened the door. Nathan groaned, then yelled, "Halt!" Jax calmed down instantly. I looked at Nathan in shock. I soon realized that he was holding an insulin pen in his hand. Nathan sighed, then uttered, "Just my luck." I frowned then asked Nathan, "What do you mean, Nathan? Isn't it normal to take insulin shots when you have diabetes?"

Nathan put his insulin pen away, then responded to me with, "It's nothing. I'm leaving. You can use the bathroom now." I stood in front of Nathan, then asked him, "Did you take your shot, Nathan?" Nathan glared at me, then said, "Yes, What is it to you, anyway?" I sighed in relief, then answered Nathan with, "Many people care about you, Nathan. I don't want you to get sick because of me." Jax barked at me for not letting Nathan leave. I looked at the dog, then asked Nathan, "Is Jax your diabetes service dog, Nathan?" Nathan nodded, then stated, "Yes, I trained him since he was a puppy." I looked at Jax, then uttered, "It was stupid of me to think that he was Krista's dog."