Chapter 16. Separation Part 3

Luke Harrison (27 years old)

Nathan's P.O.V.

I'm not going to lie. I had missed Xander very much. I was eager to see him on Saturday. I had already planned out the whole day. We would start the day with a picnic then finish it off with dinner. Imagine my surprise when Xander asked me to meet him mid-week. The problem was that he had contacted me when I was busy. One of my father's associates was having trouble with his Ferrari. Mr. Emitt had asked me to look at the car without consulting his dealer. It seemed like Mr. Emitt didn't trust the man. I couldn't detect the problem no matter how hard I tried. I had no other option than to take the car's engine apart to examine it. I didn't want to disappoint Xander, so I agreed to see him. I made some arrangements with my colleagues then went to see Xander.

The restaurant wasn't busy when I arrived. I took a seat by the window then took off my jacket. I loved watching people walk by. I ordered some food then tried to relax. Mr. Emitt's car was taking too much of my time. I would be working on other requests if he hadn't dumped the vehicle on me. Mr. Emitt wanted to give the Ferrari to his son on his birthday. He had asked me to finish the job as soon as possible. I sighed while thinking about Xander. I wondered what he wanted to discuss with me. Xander didn't joke around. "It must be something serious," I thought to myself while watching a bird fly by. I prayed that it had nothing to do with Lucas Miles or my biological parents.

A bunch of people suddenly walked into the restaurant. I could feel that Xander was among them. I didn't even have to turn my head around to see if I was right. I could never forget Xander's scent and footsteps. People instantly started talking about the famous billionaire. Xander greeted me then took a seat. I sighed while looking at Xander. Anyone would be lucky to have him by their side. I asked myself why Xander only had eyes for me. I wasn't someone exceptional. I hadn't treated Xander well in a long time either.

I was still bitter and hurt from what had happened between us years ago. It was hard for me to forget everything and accept Xander's feelings. I realized that Xander had lost some weight. He was probably too busy caring for his family to eat. Xander was such a good son. I still had feelings for him, but they weren't strong enough to make me betray myself. Xander was just about to tell me why he had returned when Luke appeared. I wasn't happy to see him. I knew how prudent Luke could be. Xander's demeanor changed when Luke took a seat next to me. I could understand his feelings. Xander had been telling me repeatedly how much he loved me. And I had failed to acknowledge his feelings.

I tried to get rid of Luke, but he ignored me. He only left after Xander glared at him. I hadn't expected Xander to act this maliciously. He was right about one thing, though. It would be years before I would feel comfortable enough to accept him. I didn't know how to react when Xander confronted me about Luke. Sure, I liked the guy, but not enough to date him. I was shocked when Xander expressed his opinion and left. I didn't even get a chance to find out what he wanted to tell me. I had lost my appetite. Luke had seen and heard everything. I groaned when I saw him walking towards me. Luke took a seat then asked me, "Why did he leave, Nathan?"