Chapter 28. Serenity Part 2

Xander's P.O.V

My first date with Nathan went better than I expected. I was truly happy to have him back in my life. Nathan was in the shower when I woke up in the morning. I frowned when I saw that it was only eight am. I wondered why Nathan was up so early. I got out of bed to check on him. Nathan was busy drying his hair by the sink. I hugged Nathan from behind, then asked him, "Did you sleep well last night, Nathan?" Nathan sighed, then answered me with, "Yeah, I did. My mother called me early in the morning. She wanted to talk to us before we made other plans. My mother told me that my uncle had invited Elijah and you for brunch. We have to leave soon if we don't want to be late."

I kissed Nathan's cheek, then walked out of the bathroom to call Elijah's nanny. My eyes fell on the text I had received the night before when I grabbed my phone. I had asked Brick to keep an eye on Nathan's biological parents. They had been silent all these years. I wondered what had triggered Mary Jacobs. I couldn't talk to Brick in front of Nathan. I didn't know how he would react if he found out what I had been doing behind his back.

I sent Brick a text and asked him to look into the matter further. I had planned to spend the whole day at the hotel with Nathan, but meeting the family was important too. Nathan got dressed, then said, "I'm taking Jax for a walk. I'll be right back." I nodded at Nathan, then called Martin. He needed to be aware of where we were heading. Nathan returned when I was about to get dressed. He sat on the bed and absentmindedly stroked Jax's head. I ran my fingers through Nathan's hair and asked him, "Is everything alright, Nathan?"

Nathan shook his head and stated, "No. I'm struggling to understand something about myself." I grabbed Nathan's face, then said, "I'm here for you, Nathan. Tell me what's bothering you." Nathan took a deep breath, then declared, "I saw the text that one of your men sent you last night. I don't understand what my biological mother wants from me. I thought that I was now strong enough not to care about what my biological family thought of me. I was wrong because the text shook me to the core." I kissed Nathan's forehead, then said, "Don't worry, Nathan. Brick is on a mission to find out what Mary is scheming. He will contact me as soon as he knows more about the situation. I'm used to dealing with people like your biological parents. I'll handle everything. Let's focus on the brunch for now." Dahlia and Caleb should have told Nathan about his parents. He wouldn't be this distressed if he knew about our agreement. Nathan threw his arms around me, then hugged me tightly.

He sighed, then said, "Things always go wrong whenever I'm happy, Xander. I truly hope that my mother doesn't create any drama. I'll lose my mind if she bothers my family" I lifted Nathan's chin and kissed him passionately. I stared into Nathan's eyes, then declared, "I won't let things escalate, Nathan. I promise to protect you with my life. Pack your bag. It's time to leave. Spending time with family boosts your mental health." I checked to see if we had everything, then left the hotel with Nathan and Jax. Elijah ran out of the house with Momo the moment we arrived. I scooped up my son, then carried him to the car. Elijah couldn't stop gushing about his dog. He had taught the dog how to fetch objects.

I decided to check my emails while we were in the car. Nathan played games with Elijah, Jax, and Momo. The little boy squealed each time he got the answer right. Nathan had finally cheered up a bit. Carter's driveway was full of cars. I wondered how many people Nathan's uncle had invited for brunch. Nathan chuckled, then asked me, "Have you forgotten how big our family is, Xander? You already know everyone here. Don't be surprised when the family treats you like a regular guy." I smiled, then said, "I wouldn't have it any other way." Nathan led us into the house and yelled, "Good morning, everyone!" Everyone stopped what they were doing to greet us. Krista grabbed Elijah's hand and stated, "The whole gang is waiting for us in the backyard. Let's go play." Jax and Momo ran after the kids.