Chapter 32. Trials

Xander's P.O.V

I was with my father when Martin told me about what had transpired. Elijah should have never acted so recklessly. I told Martin to find Nathan. He activated his earpiece and asked the other bodyguards if they had seen Nathan. One of the men instantly replied. He told Martin that Nathan was in the ground floor bathroom. My father was busy chatting with Caleb. I asked the wedding planner to keep an eye on the men, then went to find Nathan.

Nathan was examining his wound when I walked into the bathroom. I quickly went to his aid. Dahlia walked into the bathroom before I could even see how deep the cut was. My breath hitched when Nathan said, "Elijah is protecting what he loves. Maybe I should start doing the same." I had waited years for Nathan to accept me. I was not going to give up on him that easily. Dahlia sent me away before I could question Nathan. I ordered Jessica to deliver another tuxedo to Nathan. I didn't want him to walk around in dirty clothes. I tried to act normal for my mother despite feeling troubled.

I was angry at my son and couldn't wait to punish him. My mother squeezed my hand when she noticed that I was distracted. I kissed my mother's cheek, then said, "I'm fine, mom. Enjoy your day." Elijah tried to grab my hand when we reached the altar. I ignored him and joined the bridesmaids. My aunt patted my back and stated, "You look amazing, Xander." I smiled at my aunt, then uttered, "You too, ma'am." My aunt chuckled. Elijah couldn't take it anymore. He walked over to me, then hugged my leg. My father picked him up and held him during the ceremony.

I kept searching for Nathan in the crowd. Dahlia had returned to the scene without him. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Nathan walking toward the venue with Jax. Nathan looked great in his new tuxedo. Everyone turned to look at him. Nathan smiled apologetically for disturbing the ceremony, then took a seat. Krista leaned her head on Nathan's shoulder and closed her eyes. Nathan winked at me to reassure me that he was alright. I approached Nathan after the ceremony was over. Nathan pulled me into his arms, then asked, "Why are you worried about me, Xander? It's just a little cut. It will heal in no time. You should concentrate on your parents. It's their special day."

I kissed Nathan's cheek, then said, "I'm scared because you have diabetes. Every cut and bruise is dangerous to your health. What if the wound doesn't heal?" Nathan cupped my face, then declared, "My mother used the correct method to treat the cut, Xander. It won't get festered. And how many times do you think I got hurt during work? Stop worrying about me, and enjoy the party." The wedding planner called out to me and stated, "It's time to address the guests, sir." I kissed Nathan, then uttered, "I'll see you in a minute, babe." I had to sit with my parents at the head table. Carson sat right next to me. He chatted with my parents like he was their son.

Elijah climbed onto my lap and said, "I'm hungry, daddy." I didn't want to cause the boy trauma. I patted Elijah's back and stated, "I know, Elijah. They are about to serve food. Hang on for a second." Elijah rubbed his face on my chest, then asked me, "Are you mad at me, daddy? I'm sorry for hurting uncle Nathan. I didn't mean to push him." I finished my drink, then uttered, "We will talk about this at home, Elijah." Carson stroked Elijah's head and said, "I can take him if he is bothering you, Xander." I glared at Carson, then asked him, "What's wrong with you, Carson? Elijah is my son. He will never be in my way." Carson sighed and stated, "I didn't mean it like that, Xander. It seems like whatever I say these days angers you. I'll try to stay quiet from now on."

I huffed and grabbed another drink. Elijah fell asleep after eating. I kept my eyes on Nathan during dinner. A lot of people tried to talk to him. A few girls even tried to get his number. I scowled when Carson stated, "It seems like it won't be long before someone snatches him from you." I handed Elijah over to his nanny, then got up. I fixed my bow tie, then said to Carson, "I don't know what possessed me to fall in love with a cynical person like you, Carson. Come to my office on Monday. It's about time we had a serious talk." Carson tried to retort. I glared at him, then walked away. I went to Nathan's table. Krista changed seats when she saw me coming. I kissed Krista's head, then uttered, "Thank you, Krista."