Chapter 9. Lucas Miles

Nathan's P.O.V

Krista ran out of her room just when I was about to leave. She handed me her phone, then said, "Can you check why I can't hear my phone ring, Nathan?" I nodded, then examined Krista's phone. I discovered the problem immediately. I fixed the issue, then said to Krista, "You accidentally put your phone on silent, little sis. Be careful next time." I decided to check if everything was running smoothly on Krista's phone while I was at it. I was surprised when I saw Krista's log file. It seemed like Xander had a lot of free time on his hands. He called Krista every day. I gave the phone back to Krista, then asked her, "What do you and Xander talk about every day, Krista? There must be a reason why he calls you so frequently."

Krista giggled, then replied to me with, "Xander and I mostly talk about our day and how everyone is doing, Nathan. We don't speak for long. I like it when he calls me. It's like I have another brother." I groaned, then said to Krista, "I can't believe that he calls you more than me." Krista smirked at me, then ran towards her bedroom. I gasped when I heard her yell from her room, "Jealousy doesn't look good on you, Natey!" Like I would be jealous of Krista. I sighed while walking down the stairs. I was going to ask Xander why he was bothering my little sister so much. I said goodbye to Caleb then left the house. I parked my car in the restaurant's parking lot, then gazed at the establishment. The restaurant looked busy. I pondered about going in or not.

I couldn't leave someone hanging, so I walked into the restaurant. My eyes fell on Lucas the moment I walked into the establishment. Lucas waved like a fool at me. I ignored the receptionist and walked straight to Lucas's table. I took off my jacket, then took a seat. Lucas smiled at me then said, "I thought you were not going to show up, Nathan." I sighed, then responded to Lucas with, "I'm only a few minutes late, Lucas. You could have contacted me if you were worried." Lucas smirked, then uttered, "You look hot tonight, Nathan. Don't get me wrong. You looked attractive in your overalls last time as well, but I prefer seeing you in casual wear."

"Is this guy belittling my profession?" I asked myself while gazing at Lucas. It seemed like Lucas hadn't realized what he had done. I shook my head, then said to Lucas, "Let's eat. I'm hungry." Lucas summoned a waiter, then said to me, "You can eat whatever you like, Nathan. I'm paying. You can save your money for something else." I chuckled while looking at Lucas. I realized that Lucas hadn't done his homework. He would have found out that I wasn't just a lowly mechanic if he had Googled me. I smirked at Lucas, then stated, "You are such a gentleman, Lucas. Thanks for the meal." The waiter handed me a menu then asked me, "Would you like to try tonight's special, sir?" I nodded and handed the menu back to the waiter. I asked Lucas after the waiter left, "Do you come here often with your lovers, Lucas?" Lucas gazed at the restaurant's beautiful decor, then answered me with, "No, I don't. My editor loves this place. I often come here with her."

I liked the atmosphere of the restaurant. I tried to relax as much as I could. Lucas grabbed my hand to attract my attention, then asked me, "Would you like some wine, Nathan?" I didn't feel like drinking that night. Jax wasn't with me to monitor my health either. I decided to deny Lucas's offer. I grasped a glass of water, then said to Lucas, "I'm sorry, Lucas. I can't join you tonight." I laughed when I heard Lucas say, "My bad, Nathan. I didn't know that you were a recovering alcoholic." Lucas looked at me in shock. I smiled at Lucas, then said to him, "I'm not a recovering alcoholic, Lucas. I drove here tonight. I get drunk easily. I don't want to risk getting a ticket. Those things are hard to remove from your record." Lucas sighed in relief, then said, "Okay. I understand. Tell me more about yourself, Nathan."

I sighed, then responded to Lucas with, "My life is boring as hell, Lucas. I work on the weekends too and don't go out much. How about you?" Lucas grinned, then stated, "My life has been hectic as always. I have just returned from Sweden. I was there to promote my new book. A famous director is already thinking of turning it into a movie. I will be meeting him on Monday to discuss the details. My assistant will take over the project from there. I will be free to date you after that." It looked like Lucas was someone who liked to be in control. I shook my head, then said to Lucas, "I can't date you, Lucas." Lucas frowned, then asked me, "Can you tell me why, Nathan? Is it because of your profession? I don't mind that you work at a garage."