Chapter 4. Xander Oswald

Xander's P.O.V

You can't imagine how I felt when I woke up in a shed. Believe it or not, it wasn't the first time that I had gotten kidnapped. A group of men abducted me when I was six. The men locked me up in a dark eerie room. I didn't even learn for how many days it was. I cried myself to sleep every night. I could hear the men talk about asking my parents for a ransom. It seemed like one of the men was against the idea. He wanted to kill me as soon as possible. My father's men saved me before my abductors could harm me. 

We never found out who was behind the kidnapping. My parents decided to move somewhere safer after the incident happened. I couldn't sleep at night without nightmares, so I went into therapy. I forgot about the incident after a while. It all came flooding back the moment I laid my eyes on the shrine of me. My brain instantly went into survival mode when I saw the pictures of my family. Nathaniel was trying to explain to me why he had brought me to the shed. I couldn't hear him due to my pounding heart rate. The shed reminded me of that terrible room, back when I was six. I wanted to get out of the shed as soon as possible. My whole body started shaking when I realized how far away from civilization we were.

I knew Nathaniel pretty well. I had seen him help kids in the neighborhood. Most of the kids at school found him disgusting, but I thought that he was cute. I had cut off all ties with my friends because of Nathaniel. I had even reported them to the principal when they refused to stop bullying him. I couldn't understand why Nathaniel chose to stalk me. I would have considered his feelings if he had confessed them to me. I would have never abandoned Nathaniel for being gay. Since I didn't even know what my preference was, why would I judge him?

I wanted to stop my father from hurting Nathaniel, but my mother held me back. She couldn't believe that someone had tried to harm me once again. Someone I trusted! Chills ran down my spine when I saw how disappointed Nathaniel was. I wanted to visit Nathaniel at the police station, but my parents were against it. My mother lost her mind when my uncle gave her a file containing information regarding Nathaniel. My parents couldn't understand how Nathaniel had managed to slip through our security for so long.

My father became furious when he discovered that Nathaniel had been stalking me for almost a year. My uncle made matters worse by telling them that Nathaniel had been stalking my girlfriend too. My father vowed to make Nathaniel suffer. I tried to talk him out of it, but my father wouldn't listen. My uncle was a conniving bastard. I could feel that he was up to something. He stopped my parents when they decided to confront Nathaniel. My view of Nathaniel changed when my uncle gave me an envelope full of intimate photos of my girlfriend and me. My uncle had supposedly found Nathaniel's camera near the shed. He told us that he had developed the pictures out of curiosity.

I despised Nathaniel for invading a girl's privacy. My girlfriend's reputation would get ruined if someone saw the pictures. I decided to say what I thought was accurate when my lawyer asked me, "Can you tell us what happened on that fateful night, Xander?" I felt a sharp pain of regret, in my chest when Nathaniel got sentenced to five years in a juvenile detention center. I could see that his love for me had turned into hatred. I couldn't sleep for weeks after the sentencing. Every time I closed my eyes, I could see Nathaniel glaring at me. It felt like I had betrayed Nathaniel. I wanted to find out the truth as soon as possible.

I launched an investigation of my own when I turned eighteen. It didn't take my men long to discover the truth. My uncle Phillip had orchestrated it all. He wanted me out of the picture, at all costs. He thought that he would inherit my father's assets if I died. What he didn't know, at the time, was that my father had changed his will after my initial abduction. Everything would go to charity organizations after our departure. I gave all the evidence to the police, and my uncle got jailed for fifteen years. My father felt ashamed when he realized that he had ruined an innocent boy's life. He called my lawyer Cynthia and told her to ask for a sentence reduction, with immediate release. My father was willing to compensate Nathaniel for the years he was locked up.