Chapter 31. An enemy

Nathan's P.O.V

Hi, my dear readers. Thank you so much for your patience. I wrote a long chapter to make it up to you guys. Stay safe and see you on the twenty-eight of June.

Xander didn't mention the package again. He told me he wouldn't open it until I asked him to. We had a great time at Xander's house. Carson stayed quiet for the rest of the night. My father thanked Victoria for inviting us over for dinner. Xander drew me aside when we were about to leave. He kissed me passionately, then stated, "Get home safe, Nathan." I had missed Xander's warmth, so I savored the moment. I took a shower when I got home, then got ready for bed. I decided to convey my feelings to Xander before sleeping. I smiled when Xander texted me, "I love you more, babe." I had a strange dream that night. I dreamt that my biological mother was terminally ill. I didn't know why she was haunting me in my dreams.

I woke up early the next day and exercised for an hour. Caleb, Dahlia, and Krista were busy having breakfast by the time I got ready for work. I didn't have much to do at work that day. I decided to do the inventory while I was free. Carter called me when I was about to clock out. He sounded desperate. I greeted my cousin, then asked him, "What can I help you with today, Carter?" Carter groaned and stated, "One of my clients just brought in a Maybach Exelero. He wants the car back by tomorrow. I don't have the time to look into it. Can you take it over from me? See it as your next project." I chuckled, then said, "I'm sorry, Carter. I'm too scared to touch an eight-million-dollar car. What if I messed up?"

Carter huffed and stated, "Stop it, Nathan. You have worked on more expensive cars than this. Please, help me out. I'm in a bind here." I laughed, then declared, "I was joking, Carter. I'll see you soon." Carter sighed in relief and said, "The car will be in the spare garage. Ace has already set out the equipment you need. See you soon. Bye." I told my father about Carter's request, then left with Jax. I was curious about the car. I went straight to the spare garage when we arrived. The car was beautiful. The gold color suited it well. I wondered who the owner of the Maybach was. The modifications must have cost the owner a lot of money.

Carter brought in some snacks and drinks. He patted Jax's head, then declared, "The owner has trouble starting the car. It has been a while since anyone drove it. There must be something wrong with the engine." I nodded, then stated, "Don't worry. I'll figure out what's wrong with it. You can go now." I ran a diagnostic test on the car after Carter left. I soon realized that there was sediment in the gas tank. I needed to remove the tank and clean it. I checked the fuel filter to see if there were any dirt on it. It was fortunately clean. Carter's assistant Ace helped me finish the job. He cheered when the car came to life.

Ace patted my back, then stated, "You truly have magic fingers, Nathan. Thank you so much for your help." I chuckled and said, "I didn't do much, Ace." Ace grinned, then declared, "It's late. We should go home now. The boys will service the car tomorrow. The owner asked us to deliver the car to his house. Carter may ask you to do it. He doesn't trust the others with such an expensive vehicle." I gazed at the car, then said, "I will gladly drive the car to wherever Carter instructs me to, but it has to be after school. It's my turn to pick up Krista tomorrow." Ace nodded and stated, "Okay, I will relay your message to Carter."

I decided to run another diagnostic test while I was there. I smiled when Xander hugged me from behind. Jax would have reacted if someone else had approached me. Xander kissed my neck, then asked me, "Aren't you tired, Nathan?" I turned around, then kissed Xander passionately. Xander hummed in satisfaction, then said, "I missed you so much, Nathan." I pinched Xander's cheek, then stated, "You saw me last night, Xander." Xander hugged me tightly, then closed his eyes. I stroked Xander's head and asked him, "Rough day today?" Xander sighed and uttered, "Yeah. I almost lost my temper when one of the directors claimed that he had lost a document. I mean, how could he be that careless? We could have suffered a setback because of him."