Chapter 18. Surprise Part 1

Nathan's P.O.V

Thank you for all your support, guys. Enjoy reading and see you on Monday. 

Luke had been behaving strangely. I believed that it would be easy for us to spend time together after I returned. But I was wrong. Six months had passed, and we hadn't even had a decent meal together yet. Luke was always at the hospital. I didn't want to seem clingy, so I didn't voice my feelings. I liked being alone anyway. Our anniversary was coming up. I had planned to surprise Luke with a romantic dinner at his house. I had learned how to cook from Dahlia. She didn't want me to starve to death while I lived in New York. I made sure to finish work early on our anniversary day. I did some shopping after work, then drove to Luke's house.

I knew where Luke had hidden the spare key. I grabbed the key then opened the door. Jax walked into the house first. He liked to check the perimeter to see if it was safe. Luke's house was a mess. It looked like his housekeeper hadn't visited the house in days. I cleaned the place and did the laundry. I began cooking at six o'clock. I wanted everything to be ready before Luke arrived. I looked in satisfaction at all the delicious food. I had outdone myself. I took a shower after tidying the kitchen. I decided to call Luke to remind him to come home early after getting dressed. Luke promised to be home by eight. I fed Jax then took him on a walk.

It was already dinnertime when we returned. There was no sign of Luke. I decided to enjoy a drink while waiting for him. I reminisced while gazing out of the window. Time flew by in a flash. I groaned when the clock hit ten o'clock. I grabbed my phone then called Luke. I threw my phone on the table when Luke didn't pick up. I couldn't believe that Luke had stood me up once again. I needed to take my medicine. So I couldn't wait any longer. I dished out some food for myself and ate in peace. It seemed like Jax was worried about me. He put his head on my lap, then whimpered. I stroked my dog's head, then said to him, "I'm alright, Jax. Luke is probably in the operating room right now."

I put all the food away then laid down on the sofa. I felt bored so decided to watch a car show. I was surprised when I saw that there was another car design competition. The company was asking participants to design a sportscar this time. The winner would get a permanent job at the Ford Motor Company's headquarters. I felt sorry for the participants. It was hard to please such a large company. I fell asleep after a while. I woke startled when I heard something fall. I quickly walked to the corridor to see what was going on. I groaned when I saw Luke's bag on the floor. I should have known that it was Luke. Jax would have alerted me if something was wrong. Luke smiled sheepishly at me, then stated, "Sorry for disturbing you, Nathan. I didn't know that you were sleeping." I huffed, then walked away. Luke ran after me then said while grabbing my hand, "Please, don't hate me, Nathan. A little girl was dying. I couldn't leave her behind in such a state."

I sighed, then said to Luke, "Don't worry about it, Luke. I'm used to it by now. I put the food in the fridge. You can heat it if you are hungry. I'm going to bed now. See you in the morning." Luke hugged me, then stated, "Don't be angry, Nathan. I'll make it up to you. I promise." I pushed Luke slowly away, then uttered, "I'm not mad at you, Luke. I'm just tired. I'll see you upstairs." I frowned when I heard Luke say, "I have already eaten, Nathan. I will join you. I need a shower." I took my shirt off then laid down on the bed. My mind was a mess. I couldn't sleep no matter how hard I tried. I didn't know if I still wanted to be with Luke or not. Luke took a shower and fell asleep.

I sighed while looking at Luke. He didn't know how a relationship worked. "Is this what I deserve?" I asked myself while covering Luke up with a blanket. I groaned when Luke put his head on my chest. I carefully pushed him away then got out of bed. I needed to get my mind off things. The only way to do that would be by exercising. I put on my tracksuit and grabbed my car key. I wrote a note to Luke, then woke up Jax. The dog yawned while stretching. I chuckled, then said to Jax, "Come on, pup. Let's go on a run." Jax looked in astonishment at me. He probably thought that I was crazy. Jax ran out of the room when I told him I would give him treats for joining me.