Chapter 7. The universe is against me. Part 1

Nathan's P.O.V

It seemed like the universe was against me. I kept meeting Xander no matter where I went. I decided not to attend any more functions. It was the best way to avoid the man. I was surprised when Xander brought food to my room. He acted as if he cared about me, but oh, I knew better. I buried myself with work when I returned home from Malibu. I hadn't taken up a new project yet, so I was free in the evening. I spent my free time with my family and dog. Jax had a lot of stamina. He needed to exercise at least two hours a day to get rid of the excess energy. 

Krista joined us most of the time. She was turning six soon. Dahlia was making sure that Krista was ready for the first grade. Our business was flourishing, so I couldn't complain. I hadn't gone out with my friends for a while. Everyone was busy with work. I was surprised when Riley called me Tuesday evening. He asked me if I could visit him Friday night. I agreed to see him after work. I notified Caleb that I would be home late, then drove to Carter's garage. Riley smiled when he saw me coming. He handed me a cup of coffee, then asked me, "Were you serious about dating me, Nathan?"

I was surprised by Riley's question. I liked Riley, but I hadn't planned to pursue him seriously. I composed myself, then asked Riley, "Did you break up with your boyfriend, Riley?" Riley rubbed his face in frustration, then answered me with, "Charles cheated on me, Nathan. I couldn't stand him anymore. So I dumped him. I was stupid to think that we would grow old together." I rubbed Riley's back, then said to him, "I don't want to be your rebound, Riley. When I love, I love hard. I'm not looking for a relationship at the moment. I will go out with you to get your mind off of things. We'll see how things go from there. How does tomorrow night sound? I will pick you up at eight." Riley smiled broadly at me, then uttered, "That sounds great, Nathan. I'll make sure to be ready by then. I'll text you my address later."

I went home after enjoying another cup of coffee with Riley. Krista tackled me to the floor the moment I walked through the door with Jax. Krista hugged me tightly, then said, "Daddy finally permitted me to have a sleepover with my friends, Nathan. Everyone, except for Taylor, will be here tomorrow afternoon. Taylor is going to a birthday party with her parents tomorrow night." I stroked Krista's head, then responded to her with, "That's nice of dad, Krista. I can do some magic tricks to entertain your guests if you like. I bet that I can make Jax jump through a hoop to make you all laugh as well." Krista giggled, then declared, "You don't need to exhaust yourself for those guys, Nathan. It's your day off, so you should rest. My friends become rowdy and bold when they see someone handsome. I don't want them to bother Jax and you. Jax is not a dog who you can play with freely. I know that it will be hard for you to ignore my friends, but please listen to me this time, Nathan."

I laughed while pinching Krista's cheeks. She was clearly jealous. I hugged Krista, then said to her, "You need friends who aren't bratty and insensitive, Krista." Krista giggled with delight, then uttered, "You are right, Nathan." I got startled when I heard Caleb yell, "Are you two planning to stay on the floor the whole night?" I helped Krista up, then ran upstairs to take my insulin shot and to freshen up. Krista had already started eating by the time I came downstairs. Jax was also enjoying his food. I took a seat, then began dishing out food for myself. Caleb and Dahlia discussed matters regarding the sleepover while we ate. Dahlia smiled at me, then said, "You must be getting bored, son. What about you? Do you have any plans for this weekend?" I drank my wine, then responded to Dahlia with, "Yes, mom. I have a date with Riley tomorrow night." Caleb frowned, then asked me, "Are you sure about this, son? Wasn't Riley dating someone? I saw him at a restaurant with a man a few days ago. They looked pretty close. Riley's your friend, right. What will you do if things don't work out between you two?"

I sighed, then responded to Caleb with, "Calm down, dad. I have already explained to Riley that I'm not interested in dating him yet. He told me that it was over between him and his boyfriend. That is why he asked me out." Caleb sighed in relief, then said, "That's good, son. I don't want you to get hurt." Dahlia glared at Caleb, then uttered, "Nathan is a grown man, Caleb. He knows what is right for him." Caleb grabbed my hand, then said, "I'm sorry, son. I sometimes forget how old you are." I smiled at Caleb, then responded to him with, "It's alright, dad. You are right. Riley just got out of a relationship. I don't know what he is thinking by asking me out. Yes, I flirted with him a few times, but it was all for fun." Dahlia groaned, then uttered, "You were his backup plan all along, Nathan." I gasped when I realized what kind of situation I had created. I made Riley believe that I was genuinely interested in him.