forty

Finn heard her before he saw her. Rory was home and it sounded like she was having a rather unpleasant call. Finn watched her place her briefcase in the closet and hang her jacket up, he was listening to try and hear who was on the phone. It didn't take long to find out.

"No Grandma, I don't need to invite Grandpa's old business associates to the wedding. The ones that are still relevant to the business and need to be invited have been invited as my business associates."

"Grandma, Grandma, GRANDMA!"

"You need to remember I run two businesses myself with multiple offices and Finn has a business as well. By the time we invite all of our own associates there is no more room for people Grandpa worked with before he retired."

"No Grandma, I will not budge on this. This wedding will be about Finn and I, not about business. If we invited everyone we want, and everyone you want, and Grandmother Francine's requests we would be at over a thousand people. That is just not happening. I told you that you could invite ten non-family couples. Choose carefully as I will not allow more."

"Yes Grandma, I can do that."

"No, I will not change my mind."

"Grandma, I have just walked into the house after work. I have been to Boston, Hartford, New York and Chicago this week. I do not have the energy to fight any longer with you."

"Yes, I'm sure you will think about the way I have spoken to you tonight. Just remember I will not be changing my mind and this is what I do for a living. There is a reason I have the highest win rate in the firm. Goodnight Grandma."

With that Rory walked further into the house and spotted Finn in his spot on the couch where he had been observing her from.

"Hi Honey, how much did you hear?"

"Hey Baby," Finn jumped up and kissed her, "How much do you want me to have heard?"

Rory laughed knowing that meant he had heard everything from when she unlocked the door. "She sent me a list of fifty names to add to the guest list today, on top of the people she had already given us. She is being ridiculous." Rory rested her head on his chest and took a deep breath, breathing in his scent always managed to calm her down.

"Well it sounded like you put her in her place. You seem stressed honey." Finn looked at Rory where she was resting against his chest, he gently brushed her hair off her face.

"It's been a busy week, and it's three months to the wedding now, apparently there are lots of things that we should have done by now. I told my assistant to cancel all my meetings for Monday, I need a long weekend to recover."

"That sounds like a good plan, want me to see if I can do the same? We could take a three day weekend and go somewhere just the two of us. We haven't been anywhere, just the two of us since Australia."

"Finn it's Thursday night, where would we go at such short notice?"

"Babe, You have a plane and I run a hotel chain, I'm pretty sure the possibilities are endless. We are only limited by flight time."

"Okay, you see if you can get Monday off, I'll order chinese and then we can brainstorm on the couch and make out like teenagers."

"How about we make out like teenagers for a little bit first, and then do all that and make out some more?" Finn smirked and lowered Rory down to lay beside him on the couch.

Friday evening found Rory and Finn aboard her jet, heading to Bermuda for the weekend.

"I'm still not sure how we came up with the idea to come here," Rory said, laying on a couch on the plane, her feet on Finn's lap.