forty-seven

The day of the rehearsal dinner arrived and much to Emily's horror Rory had gone into work for the morning. She had had to argue hard pointing out that she was the head of the firm and was about to go on a three week honeymoon during which she had no intention of answering any work calls or emails, she wasn't even bringing her laptop or ipad with her so she wouldn't be able to do any. Rory glanced at the clock on the wall of her office, it was ten-thirty, she could probably get away with two more hours worth of work before someone arrived to drag her out of the office so she had to work quickly to ensure everything was done.

"Miss Hayden?" Charlie buzzed in through the intercom.

"Yes Charlie?"

"I have a Mrs Huntzberger on the line for you?"

"Did they happen to mention which one? Summer I will talk to, Shira is a hard no."

"It's Summer, also would you like me to bring you a caramel macchiato to tide you over until lunch?"

"You can put her through, and the coffee would be great, thanks Charlie"

"Hi Summer, What can I do for you?"

"Sorry to disturb you at work again Rory, although I'm shocked you are in the office today."

"Well to sound like my other half, I had to get away from all the women for at least half of the day or else I will be going to prison not on honeymoon." Rory joked, leaning back in her chair to relax for a minute, she was intensely curious as to what Summer wanted, they hadn't spoken privately since she had passed on the number of her most sharklike divorce lawyer.

"Are they all torturing you? I remember that feeling." Summer said almost wistfully.

"Yes! You have my mom and Charlotte who both help manage and plan weddings as part of their jobs, then add in both of my grandmothers who want to be the queen bee's of society. I really don't care about all the extras, I just want to be Finn's wife." Rory said with a sigh, "So Summer was there something you needed that prompted this call?"

"Straight to the point Miss Gilmore, or should I say Miss Hayden while you are at work. I know that you will be seeing myself and Logan tomorrow at the wedding and I just wanted to give you an update so that you could understand anything you see."

"Okay, call me intrigued," Rory stated, as she mouthed 'thank you' to Charlie as he placed her coffee in front of her.

"So I called your lawyer, he reviewed the prenup and he found a few clauses that can be helpful and that I could potentially exploit and he found a few that I wish I had known about prior to marrying him."

"I was afraid of that," Rory said, "Anything awful?"

"There is an adultery clause that pretty much means if Logan cheats after five years of marriage it isn't really adultery and therefore not grounds for divorce, but if I cheat at any point after one year or thirty, I lose the right to any marital funds."

"Seriously? That is one of the worst ones I've heard of, this is why I don't do family law, I get too frustrated by some of the clauses and conditions people can place on people they apparently love."

"Yes, a total Mitchum clause I would say. So he gave me tips and pointers for gathering evidence of his adultery because it's been less than five years, it counts. Also he advised giving him the full six months as we agreed on the last time we discussed it."

"I can see where he is going with that plan." Rory said, subconsciously nodding along as she agreed with the advice.

"So when you see us at the wedding I will have to play the part of an adoring wife, and I didn't want you to think I had fallen for his crap again."