Page 18: A choice

"M-mom..."

"Blossom? Please tell me the truth, what were you doing for the past year?"

{Name}'s mother's eyes were sharp and worried. A gloss of unrevealing tears crowded on her mother's eyes.

"What do you mean? I've been selling and trading like a wandering trader."

{Name} practically lied, hoping that her mother would believe her but her mother shook her head, as if telling that what she was saying were all lies.

"No, I don't believe that. There is something more that you're hiding isn't it? Tell me {Name}."

{Name} gulped as Kie's eyes started to release the tears while looking at her own beloved daughter. She was shaken as she read once again the contents of the darn letter.

"{Name} please. Tell me. Tell me that I don't have a daughter who lies. A daughter who hides something...A daughter who kills...."

{Name}'s whole world stopped for a second.

'Oh lord, what have I done!?'

"W-wait, What?!"

{Name} kept her guard up, there were two news on how her mother would know what she was doing. It was either she was revealed as the demon slayer or...

"{Name}? Did you kill Hanto Soma?"

{Name} stared at her mother in horror. Of all the things her mother would find out, it was the one that haunted her forever. The one that she would gladly do Seppuku just so she could forget how she beheaded the man and shamelessly buried the body within her home's forest.

{Name} looked down on the ground and did a dogeza (Bowing on the floor with your head touching the ground), she kneeled infront of her mother with her tears flowing down her eyes.

There was no point to worry about her clothes, there was no point to deny her sin, there was no point on hiding what she had done. Her mother would never believe something like this but {Name} couldn't lie.

Her guilt on killing Hanto Soma never increased. She knew he deserved it, being a married man but trying to kill a teen girl is unforgivable.

But a man would get away with it because they were the embodiment of power and she was no man, If a man would be locked up and she would have been executed on the spot.

"I-I......"

She struggled to find her words while she stared on the ground.

"There is no point in denying this mom, But I did... I killed Hanto Soma. But you have to understand that I was merely protecting myself! He was gonna kill me if I didn't accept his proposal but I was naive and thought that I had a chance so I stood up against him. He chased me in the woods and tried to kill me! I'm sorry mom! I know I did a sin and you won't ever forgive-"

"{Name}!"

{Name} stopped rambling and looked up at her mother. She didn't see any hint of disappointment, horror, or even disgust on her mother. Instead she saw a small smile and tears on her face.