A Big Fan (Mat and Nate)

Mat held his breath as he peered through the tree branches. The bright lights up ahead were flashing different colours, piercing the thick forest with unnatural hues that made the giant squint. But despite the nearing clamour of excited voices, he felt his heart race— mostly with nervousness from daring to come so close to humans, but also exhilaration.

"I can't believe I'm finally doing this," he whispered to the trees' shadows, hardly daring to breathe. Hopefully the darkness would keep him concealed, but he finally saw a good space between the twiggy limbs to peer at the commotion. Mat's heart hurdled against his breastbone once more to see all the humans gathered in one place, but that fear was squashed with awe when his gaze landed on the stage that had been set up with speakers, the light show, and a bunch of equipment.

And on the stage was the main singer himself, Nathan freaking Sharp.

The giant had to stifle his excited exhale, keeping low to avoid bonking his head on the tree canopy. It looked like he'd made it just in time too. One of the instrumentalists were making last minute checks, and the brobdingnagian didn't have to sit still for very long before all the members of the participating band took their places on the stage.

After giving the mic a few quick loud taps, Nate gave the audience a huge sweeping grin. "What is UP Seattle!?" He yelled. There was a huge grin on the singer's face as he exclaimed something that Mat couldn't quite make out over the cheering from his hiding spot, but he saw the artist glance back at the rest of the humans on stage with him, and then wave his arm with so much energy and a barely coherent call of "Hit it!"

And with that, the drums hit, and the music kicked off. The giant's eyes widened to the sounds of even more tumultuous cheering. His fingers dug in to the soil as he felt the vibrations of the grand speakers, and he closed his eyes to bob his head to the beat, mouthing along the familiar lyrics as Nate began to sing the first of many songs.

It was incredible. How Mat felt wasn't even effable, he wouldn't have any idea just how to describe this feeling, this rush of excitement, of pure joy... And a sense of belonging. Mat opened his eyes to look to the gathered group before him. They were all there for the same reason as him, smiling and celebrating, taking photos and videos to share with their friends, and their friends' friends...

Mat gave a soft sigh, but he picked himself back up and immersed himself into the uplifting chorus; he knew he could never stand amongst humans, but he had worked hard just to make it here, to attend this one concert. And oh was it worth it.

And yet it seemed all over all too soon. The giant watched as Nate laughed and waved to his audience, and Mat ducked down when the artist's gaze passed over his hiding place. Right, everyone was leaving now. He slowly backed up to sit just a bit further away from the rambunctious scatterings of concert-goers, keeping still as he watched them make their ways to their cars.

Mat wasn't sure how long he'd been watching— like with the played songs, time just moved so fast— but he thought he heard a familiar voice before finally registering that someone was calling out "Hey!" The giant blinked and looked around, only to freeze; Nathan Sharp was right in front of him, and looking right at him.

"Uhm?" Was all Mat could squeak out. Then he ducked down a little, shrinking back with a blurted, "I'm-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you Nate- er I mean—"

"Hey, it's all good." There was a quizzical brow raise on Nate's behalf, but he still gave a smile, not seeming the slightest afraid. Why wasn't he? "I saw you earlier, actually," the singer continued amicably, "You seemed to be enjoying yourself, but also... Well, I dunno, kinda lonely too."

"Oh... A little bit." Mat studied the forest floor. "I was only able to come cause I made my own computer— kind of, I mean. It wasn't that easy, a few explosions and a lot of scavenging..." Nate gave a curious hum.

"So you're good with technology?"

"I'm familiar with it at least, yeah." Nate paused, then he tilted his head with a grin, making direct eye contact still.

"How do you feel about tomorrow, at sunset? We had to use a backup speaker, our original one isn't working." Mat's gaze landed on the human, astounded.

"I-s-sure?"

"Awesome, see ya then!" With that, the singer gave a wave and headed back to the stage.

Mat stared after him in flabbergast, until a thrilled smile bloomed sincerely over his lips.