Blind Spot (Jack and Mark) (Part 1)

He couldn't see.

Mark couldn't remember what happened, but the trauma still made his hands shake. He'd guess that something horrible happened to him, and that he'd hit his head and now had amnesia with a side of no eyesight. When he first came to, everything had been hurting so badly. It still hurt, though he had only been awake for maybe an hour?

He remembered smelling ash and feeling completely lost. He remembered the disfigured tree he'd walked into like a complete idiot, and he remembered how terrified he'd been. Of course, Mark was still terrified, but he was starting to get a grasp on his emotions. He needed to find help, so wherever there weren't trees, that was the direction Mark had headed. Unfortunately, there was still nothing but the sounds of the forest he was lost in.

Mark shuddered as he felt a cold breeze tug on his dirty clothes. It felt like it was getting dark. The sun's warm glow was fading, and the temperature was dropping. And he still hadn't found civilization! What could he do? Mark bit back the urge to cry. No, that wouldn't get him anywhere. He couldn't cry.

His foot suddenly caught on something, and he fell, hitting the ground. The ground, however, he realized felt different. It was solid and cool. He tapped it. The sound echoed up ahead. It's a cave. A cave was ok shelter. Mark got up and reached around until his hand brushed the side. He followed it into the cavern, and he heard his shallow breath amplified as he went deeper and deeper in. He was shivering now. He tried to look around, turning his head in hopes of seeing the twilight, but nothing. His eyes were still damaged. He swallowed down a smothered cry and turned forward. As he went deeper, hoping to reach the back of the cave, the air began to warm up.

Mark hoped that was good, but it puzzled him. How could it be warm? His clothes weren't good enough, and just because he was out of the wind didn't mean he was warm. As he took another step, his hands suddenly hit something. It was warm and soft, pulsing with heat. Mark gripped the new wall; it felt like fabric. As he turned and followed the wall deeper in, he heard air wooshing as he kept walking. Then he felt a shockingly familiar and leathery texture: Skin.

He halted. The winds were really loud now, and he could hear something beating. Was it a heart? He stepped again. He felt hair and bone on what felt like a chin. The windy noises were really loud, too. Mark dropped his hands and quickly backed away. There was something in this cave, with him, and he didn't know if it was awake or if it was going to kill him, or-

His heel clipped a jutting rock. He fell on his back with a loud thump that echoed. Winded, Mark gasped for breath as he heard the wind sounds stop. Too late, he realized that it was breathing as he heard what sounded like a yawn, and then suddenly his whole world came to life. It was something huge, and Mark didn't know what it was, but he was scared stiff.

He heard the thing stop moving and vocalize a small sound. Mark knew he should keep quiet, but that didn't stop the ragged, shallow, gulps of air being drawn into his chest and pushed out desperately from his lips. He couldn't help it, the fear of the unknown was too dominant. He felt the air heat up before something touched his chest. He shuddered with a violent start, recoiling. The thing quickly pulled away, but then it persisted, gently laying its weight over Mark. Mark was wheezing now. If his vision was working, he bet it would be blurry from how panicked he was getting. But then he'd be able to see what the hell was going on.

"Oh, ye poor thing..." Mark gasped. Someone was here!

"Wh-who's there?" He cried hoarsely, breaking off into a sputtering cough. He heard a hesitation.

"Can-can you not see me?" The voice asked cautiously. Mark felt his emotions bubbling to the surface and fought hard to not succumb to them.

"P-please, I..." Mark licked his dry lips and tried to speak again. "I'm lost, I-I don't know where I am, or-or what happened...!"