Phantoms of Hope (Nate and Mat+Steph) (Part 3)

"What did you do?" Mat blinked.

"Wh-me? What did I do? What do you mean?" Stephanie pointed past him.

"I heard a commotion going on, so I went out to look, and I see the house owner, a fully grown human being mind you, on the floor, crying, and you trying to comfort him!" Mat winced.

"I-I didn't do anything! At least, not deliberately, I mean- I- he thought I wasn't real, and, uh, he started crying, and-" Mat shook his head. "Steph, there's something wrong here."

"Yeah, you were seen!" Mat's gaze slid from Stephanie, and he saw that some of their stuff was already gathered.

"Steph? What...?" He looked around. "What's this about?"

"I've already started packing, but... well, I'm not as strong as you."

"We can't leave now!" Mat gasped, appalled, "We need to help him!"

"Mat, he's a human, and he saw you. There's nothing more to it," she pleaded.

"He needs my help," Mat answered firmly.

"Come on Matthew, you've heard the stories! Any borrower ever seen by a human gets captured, and I'm not going to watch you risk your life for a human that you don't even know." Mat gave her a good look and shook his head sadly.

"Then look the other way."Stephanie blinked as Mat turned away and ran back out of their house.

"Mat? Mat! Mat don't! Wait!" But Mat knew he couldn't listen to her cries to call him back. He just knew, deep down, that he needed to help Nate. And if Stephanie wouldn't help, then he would do it himself. I don't know what it is, but I feel like he's in a really bad place. How could we have been so blind? If he was a borrower, maybe Steph would think differently, but- He pushed that thought out of his mind, feeling guilty for thinking that. Sorry Steph, but I have to make sure he's okay. He came out of hiding and ran across the living room floor.

"Nate?" He called. "Nate!" He listened for a response, or some footsteps. Where the hell could he have gone? Teardrops still stained the kitchen floor, but the human wasn't there. Mat sucked a huge breath into his lungs and shouted with all his might, "Nate!?!?" He suddenly heard something shatter, followed by a heavy thud. A bolt of fear made his spine tingle with dread, and Mat took off for the source of the noise. Something bad is happening. His sensitive borrower sense was off the radar, screaming at him that something was gravely wrong. Mat sped into the bedroom as fast as his small legs could carry him, but then he came to a staggering halt and gawked with horror.

The table lamp was in pieces on the ground; the bedsheets were draped over the side of the bed and cascaded across the floor, and the guitar even was sprawled on its side. The chair and nightstand were also knocked down, and splayed in the middle of the room was Nate. "Nate!" Mat ran up to the human and ran around to the front of his head. "Nate!" The human's eyes were half-closed. His lips were slightly parted as he hoarsely breathed, but much shallower than Mat remembered. His throat muscles throbbed feebly with each weak inhale, so Mat went up to Nate's chest and listened to his heartbeat. His eyes widened. He needs a hospital! Mat ran down alongside the human's still body and pushed into his pocket. Come on, come on, please be there, please...! He spotted the thin silver box that was called a phone and tapped the screen desperately. It flashed on, blinding Mat for a second as he grumbled and pushed on the phone icon.

What was the number for emergencies? Mat froze. Shoot! What was it!?

"Mat! Call 911!" Mat turned to see Stephanie running up to Nate.