Thunder (Mark and Jack) (TEASER)

Shadows danced across his solar-protected visor as the bioluminescent greenery whipped around Jack, and the Irishman heard another boom of thunder. Keep moving, he told himself. Just ignore it and keep going. But then, through the ruckus of the storm, Jack heard a soft growl. It was a wonder how he heard it, but he suddenly stiffened and became alert. He slowly turned and looked to his left. Nothing. He looked to his right more quickly. Darkness. He shivered and suddenly tried looking up. The only warning he got was, as the lightning flashed ominously, the shiny black-silver of wet feathers and fur, and harsh green-lit eyes in a muscular silhouette that blocked the fork of jumping electrons.

Jack shouted in alarm as the creature snarled and leaped off the branch. He turned to run, but the beast pounced square onto his shoulders, and long, sharp claws dug in as he was brought down. The cold blasted through Jack's body, but he hardly felt it through the blinding pain that ran down his spine and one of his legs. He screamed and rolled away, curling up in agony. The animal jumped back at his strange call and hissed. Jack screamed more as he struggled to get up. He was dimly aware of how hard his body trembled, and as lightning split across the sky again he finally saw the beast.

It was a huge, black cat. Its mane consisted of green, blue, and grey feathers, and its eyes were an electric green color that broke through the darkness. Jack looked on with terror, his breath catching in his throat as he realized that he was face to face with an alien predator. And it looked ready to sink its fangs in him.

The panther-like creature snarled and dug its claws in the dirt. Its muscles rippled under its soaked pelt, and it tensed to pounce again. Jack finally gathered his senses and broke off running, but he forgot the supply bag behind. The panther hardly gave him a headstart before Jack could hear its paws pounding against the ground. Jack panted, shivering as he staggered through the gargantuan forest. Though he was now cold and wet thanks to the large tears in his suit, his back felt extremely warm and sticky.

As Jack glanced over his shoulder to see how close the monstrous cat was, something suddenly snagged his foot. With a harsh jerk and a snap, Jack was flipped upside down, and he shot up into the air with a cry that was whipped away from him by the howling storm. He bounced a bit in the wind before the rope tightened under his weight, and he opened his eyes to see that he was hanging from a tree limb. The cat skidded to a halt under him, and his breath hitched as it paced the forest floor.

It was waiting for him.

Jack groaned and tried to look at the rope. It had grabbed his bad leg. He grit his teeth and swayed, wondering how the hell he was going to get out of this mess. Would the others find him? No, probably not. He was a long ways away from the station. And Jack refused to go back. Even if he got free now, he realized, the cat would eat him, or he would freeze to death before he could even get the hell out of Dodge.

After some time, Jack cocked his head and saw the cat watching him hungrily. He blanched. He was nothing but a piece of meat dangling in the animal's territory, and who knew what other predators were around. And it wasn't until Jack started shivering again when he realized that the storm was getting worse; lightning flashed sporadically, thunder rumbled more violently, and a cold wind gusted, making him shiver harder. He was getting dizzy from all the blood flowing to his head. He knew he needed to sit up.

He tried to reach for the rope, but he had to soon settle on grabbing his hurt leg and hoisting himself up. It hurt like hell for his leg and the tingling agony in his back, but at least Jack didn't feel like he was going to pass out. He couldn't hold himself up for very long, and so he lowered his upper half back down to see that the cat was gone. He looked around, and then paled when he noticed it climbing a nearby tree. Jack started to tremble again as it turned and looked at him with narrow, angry eyes. It growled at him and crept closer, walking out on a limb. Jack could do nothing as it roared and pounced.