Snowstorm (Jack and Mark) (Part 1)

"Amy!" Mark struggled against the wind and called again. "Ethan? Tyler! Anybody!" He heard nothing. His voice was whipped away by the howling wind, he could hear nothing and see nothing but white. He shivered. Where the hell am I? I hope the others are ok. The accident was still fresh on his mind. It had been his dumb idea to try to climb a mountain in Europe, but then a sudden blizzard had broken off a chunk of rock, and an avalanche ensued. Mark's rope had broke, and he'd tumbled for a long time before collapsing on snowy ground. Now, he was lost, wet, cold, and trapped in a nasty storm. What a great Christmas this was.

"Hello!?" Mark yelled. "Anybody!" He misstepped and fell face first in the snow. He groaned and sat up, huddling miserably in the snow drift. Shit! He tried to get up, but his legs buckled. He fell on his side and lay there, shuddering. He tried to hide his face in his parka as the wind howled on unrelentlessly. He tried to take a few minutes to rest, but his muscles grew numb; ice crystals beaded his beard and lashes and brow; he was so cold he hardly had the strength to even shiver.

So... cold... Mark coughed. His throat burned, and his lungs felt frozen in the chilly air. His eyelids felt heavy, and he eventually closed them. Just... five minutes... He started to drift into darkness, but then he felt something in the ground. It was a tremor, and then there was another; and another. They were light, at first, but then they grew and magnified. Another avalanche. Great. Mark closed his eyes again and went limp in the snow. White powder already partially covered his cold body.

The tremors got louder. He could hear the snow crunching, and hear something huffing against the freezing air. Mark thought little of it though; he only wished that his friends were ok. But before he could slip into darkness, something warm touched him. He opened his eyes and saw a shadow stretched over him. But it was hard to see what. He shuddered and tried to move, but he only could curl up a little. The huge figure over him rumbled and crouched down. A warm breath of air tickled Mark's bare skin. He gasped and shivered, invigorated by warmth. Groggily, he tried to sit up and fell over, and he made no progress. Heat radiated through the air just before the big thing lay down behind him. The snow blew off his side, and then Mark felt something nudge him. He was forced to curl up, and then pressed against a warm wall.

His body tingled as warmth crept into him. His teeth chattered for a while, and he continued to shiver for a bit until he started to warm up. Whatever had settled down beside him, it was blocking the wind and snuggling Mark with its body heat. Mark sighed and relaxed, starting to feel better as the storm continued to wail. The being shifted and carefully placed itself on top of the stranded man, enveloping him in warm darkness. Mark turned over and closed his eyes. He was still tired. Before he could help it, he found himself falling asleep.

Mark opened his eyes slowly. Something thumped loudly in his ears like a drum, and it was dark. He shifted and tried to sit up, but he was pinned on the crunchy snow. He squinted and touched his surroundings. Fabric covered him like a blanket, but behind it felt something solid, like bone. Bone? Mark gripped the fabric and pulled on it. A loud rumble greeted his ears, and his eyes widened. What was that? It sounded like... like a snore.

"H-hello?" Mark pushed whatever was laying on top of him, but it didn't budge. He tried again. "Hey! Is anybody there?" The thing suddenly moved. Mark heard a loud groan as the huge figure shifted and moved away from Mark. Mark's eyes grew very wide as the creature sat up and gave out a loud, toothy yawn; it looked like a person, but he was massive!

Mark stared up from the snow drift as the giant rubbed his eyes and shook the snow out of his hair. He ruffled it and then looked around at the snowy landscape. Mark was breathless. He was amazed. But when the giant looked down and realized Mark was awake, his bright blue eyes widened. With a noise of fear, he suddenly jumped away from the human and took off running. Mark gasped.