The Song of Rain (Mark and Amy) (Part 1)

Amy loved the rain. Who didn't? It was so relaxing to hear the rain drops patter the ground and fill the air with the fresh smell of water as it washed everything away. And she loved to be all curled up in warmth, snuggling her best friend as she listened to the gentle song of rain. Her source of warmth and comfort during these times was perfect for these sorts of situations: He was a giant, and his name was Mark.

Mark loved the rain too, for all the same reasons as his smaller but precious companion. Whenever they couldn't stargaze, he loved curling up at the back of their cave and snuggling her, with the both of them laying in a comfortable quietness as they listened together to nature's beautiful song. He was big and strong with powerful muscles and a frightening size, but Amy knew with all her heart that Mark was the sweetest and kindest person she had ever met. His soft raven hair was fluffy and incredibly worthy of petting, and his smooth tan skin shone from his time in the sunlight. Stubble stuck out along his jawline, and he wore a simple black shirt with old blue jeans stained by age. He didn't have any shoes, but he didn't seem to mind since he often washed them to keep up appearances.

But Amy's favorite part were his eyes. At a distance, they appeared to be a simple brown, but when one could get as close as Amy often did, she could stare into those deep and reflective eyes and see more than just plain brown. They were, initially, a warm and gentle brown, but gold softly ringed his pupils, and the edges of the irises faded to a black border. She couldn't count the time she'd lost gazing deep into those eyes, studying every fleck of color and tracing her own reflection in them. The coolest thing was seeing them change color; such as whenever Mark was sad, they would lose their luster and fade to a blander palette, almost monochromic; or, whenever he was angry or territorial, the gold would harden into an almost red tint, and his pupils would constrict into feline slits. That saying about the eyes being windows to the soul? Yes, Amy found it to be very true for her. His eyes were like a moodlet ring. She had plenty of other hints to tell her how Mark was feeling, but on a rainy day like this it was sometimes hard.

Why? Simple. Because he was sound asleep.

Amy opened her eyes and could hear that it was still raining despite her nice nap. She yawned and stretched a little, tilting her head to catch a glimpse of the forest outside. The mouth of the cave was dripping with water, and even though it was only the afternoon the forest was devoid of bright light. The leaves jingled in the storm, and branches shuddered under the dive-bombing droplets. There wasn't any wind to chill the air today, making it wet and humid with only a slight nippiness.

She lolled her head even more to look up at her friend and protector. He was sound asleep with both arms resting over his chest and embracing her gently. He was incredibly warm, and his arms were comforting. His huge, calloused hands that respected fragility were resting over her, and her head was resting right over his heart. Mark was mostly slouched on his back, but his head and shoulder were kinda squished against the curved side of the rock wall, which slanted Amy's world just a small bit. She was curled up safely in his arms, and she could feel his powerful heartbeat booming softly under her head. His pulse was soothing, as were the gentle rises and falls of his broad chest. She could even hear the gentle gurgles of his system as his stomach worked on the remainder of lunch, a delightful feast of berries which Amy too was still full from.

She sighed softly and let her head rest down again, and she closed her eyes to listen to the familiar noises for a little bit longer. She felt at peace, like nothing was wrong and everything was perfect... but she knew that wasn't completely true. A pang of sadness made her heart squeeze as Amy remembered the hardships that had brought them together. She'd been so afraid, and he so alone. It was hard to imagine that, only a month or two ago, they hadn't even known each other...