Winter Cuddles (Jack and Mark)

"J-Jack..." Jack frowned and slowly woke up as Mark tugged on his pointy ear. "Jack," Mark stammered again. His voice was small and childish in the giant's ear, and concerned Jack opened his eyes.

"Mahrk?" He mumbled drowsily. "What is it?" He realized he could hear the small man's teeth chattering; Mark was shivering.

"I-I can't f-f-feel m-my body," Mark stuttered. Jack slowly turned over and looked down at Mark. He was unusually pale, and every fiber of his body shook violently with trembles.

"What's wrong?" But as he asked the question, Jack became aware of the chilly air that nipped the areas of his skin that weren't under the covers. "Oh fuck." Jack sat up and looked at the window. Frost fogged the glass panels, and outside was a white winter world.

"Shit!" Jack gasped. "It's not suppose to snow until next week!" He laid down and scooped Mark up. He gasped again immediately. "Mark! You're ice cold!" He laid the shivering engineer on the sheets and nudged him against his throat. Mark shuddered and curled up, pressing against the giant's neck.

"C-cold," he murmured, closing his eyes. Jack put his hand over his tiny friend and rubbed his back.

"Come on Mark, it'll be ok," he stammered. "You're gonna be just fine."

"I-I'm so... t-t-tired..." Mark yawned. He barely had enough energy to nuzzle against Jack. A bolt of fear struck the giant.

"No!" He gently shook Mark. "Stay awake, ok? Here." Jack pulled the covers over his head and held Mark close. "You're gonna be ok, you're gonna be just fine," Jack repeated. "Just keep talking to me, stay awake, ok? You can rest after you've warmed up." Mark whimpered and opened his eyes.

"Warm..." He whispered. His voice was sluggish and frail, and it made Jack's hairs stand on end to hear the deep-voiced human speak so brokenly.

"That's right, I'm warm," Jack murmured. He kept his voice low as he continued rubbing Mark's back. "I'm very warm, I'm the hottest guy around!" Mark managed to smile as he closed his eyes again.

"W-whatever b-b-boosts your-your ego..." he sighed. For thirty minutes, Jack laid there trying to warm his friend up, worrying fervently that every time Mark took a breath he might never move again. But after three quarters of an hour, Jack could feel the small engineer finally warming back up to room temperature. He sighed in relief and swallowed to get rid of his cotton dry mouth.

"We need to get something warm in ya," he murmured. Mark shifted under Jack's hand and, still shivering, brushed his head against the hairs on the giant's coarse chin.

"S-some hot c-c-coffee would b-b-be nice," he stammered. Jack nodded and carefully yawned.

"You wanna stay here, or do you want to come with me?" Mark immediately nodded; he didn't want to go or stay anywhere without Jack. "Ok." Jack slipped his hand under Mark and slowly sat up. The cool air made Jack's skin prickle, and he felt his little buddy weakly shudder in his hand. "Pocket or shoulder?"

"P-p-pocket, p-please." Once Mark was situated in his little warm slice of heaven, Jack climbed out of bed and went into his closet. He yawned again as he browsed through the different articles of clothing, and then he finally pulled out a coat he thought would suffice.

"Is this too tight for you?" Jack asked as he buttoned it up. "I can leave the top buttons undone." Mark opened his eyes and tested the walls of fabric.

"It's-it's all r-r-right," he mumbled. He didn't care if things were a bit of a tight squeeze, all that mattered to him at the moment was warmth, Jack's body heat. The familiar rhythm of the giant's heartbeat thumped in Mark's ears, and Mark closed his eyes again. His mind took him away from the thick fabric walls that pressed against him and offered protection, and he imagined himself laying in a warm meadow with grass dancing in the wind and glowing rays of sunshine sparkling on his skin.