Exiled (Jack and Mark) (Part 1)

Jack knew from the very start that he was fucked, but he didn't realize just how hard until he finally got caught. Although, caught was an extreme term: Trapped was a more effective one, because that was exactly what Jack had fallen for. A trap. 

In the beginning, he was a simple young fella trying to combat the harsh reality of adolescence. He did all the things any human would usually do, but then a catastrophic event took place world wide. Giants emerged from what seemed like nowhere and took over the lands of the earth. Animals became wild and more aggressive. Humans were knocked off the top of the food chain. Families were separated and lost, whether to the maws of predators or the new wilds of the planet they had once smugly called home. Jobs and cities were evacuated, and the peoples fled for their very lives into the wilderness, abandoning their beloved homes that were all eradicated to make room for the new species that was large and in charge.

Life from then on was hard. Some took shelter together, seeking peaceful refugee camps in deep forests or even underground. Others endorsed in a life of bandits and raiding, thieving for their own survival. But some had taken it upon themselves to survive in the most risky way possible: Living off of the giants like borrowers. It was an extremely risky practice, and only a few dared to put their life on the line, but often enough they knew they couldn't handle the harsh wild of the world beyond the society blocks of giants. As such, they stayed and hid, whether in the streets like strays or within the very walls of the gargantuan houses themselves.

Jack knew he wouldn't last a day in the wild, so he stayed in a giants' block that was the new Los Angeles. It was one of the largest establishments yet, and even after seven years it still grew. That was how long Jack was alone, by himself, without anyone to talk to or even a shoulder to cry on. Fear made him grow up quickly and toughen up. Time still ticked by, and eight years was so achingly long. But one day changed everything, and that fateful evening Jack was focused on something else.

"Get back here you rat!!!" The Irishman ducked as the giant chasing him threw something metal. "I'll fucking teach you to steal from me!!!!" He bellowed. Jack slid under the counters and huddled there, gasping for breath. His head was pounding. His crystal blue eyes were wide and sharp with apprehension, and he backed away as the chef's approaching shoes. He looked around desperately for an escape route, but when he moved he convulsed under a wave of pain and grunted. He looked at his arm. The fresh cut was deep, and he was bleeding. Shit. He pulled out a strip of cloth with his good hand and wrapped it, keeping steady. He didn't have time to do much else. Time was precious, and he could only delay the bleeding long enough to get the hell out of this fancy kitchen.

He waited until the chef turned away to look for him, and then he pushed off the floor and hurtled toward the double doors. The chef rumbled angrily above him as he stomped around, not noticing the tiny human until he was squeezing through the doors. "Shit! No!" He hissed. If anyone saw a human running rampant in his restaurant, then they would shut him down until the pest problem was taken care of! He angrily stormed to the doors and peered through the circular windows, trying to get a peek at the human's whereabouts. But all he could see were the many other giants seated in the vast dining areas of his restaurant. "I'm so screwed," he muttered.

As soon as he had wriggled under the serving doors, Jack veered a sharp right and ran along the wall, praying that none of the big people would noticed his tiny shadow darting across the floor. They were all indulged in their conversations and the delicious smelling food, and the smell made Jack's stomach growl pitifully to remind the young Irishman that he still hadn't found anything to eat. He winced and wrapped his hurt arm around his middle, and he tried to look for a way out of this chaotic place.