Misplaced (Jack and Mark) (Contest Entry)

A/N This is a little contest entry thing for arc852's contest. I don't have a tumblr account so hopefully this gets to them in time 😅 It'll be on Archive too.

As for the requests on hold, don't worry dudes! I'm working on them as you read this, I just wanted to get this out before I'm too late

Enjoy! This takes place in the ReverseTiny!verse of Tiny!Mark and Giant!Jack. I might do a second part if you guys really want it, but I'll leave that up to you 😉 

Mark could swear he had the worst luck a borrower could possibly ever have.

After all this time he had tried to stay away from Jack to not have so many close encounters, but never before was an encounter as close or nightmare-inducing as this. It started in the late afternoon; Mark was getting ready for his borrowing session in the safety of the walls. As much as he hated to venture out into the open, he needed to go out there and get some salt. As he packed his few necessary supplies, Mark paused and listened for Jack's footsteps.

Good, he's in his room. His borrowing time took place after Jack ate dinner, so Mark could slip in and out of the kitchen with a better chance of Jack not walking in on him. His chest gave a little squeeze at the very thought of getting close to Jack again. Too many times for comfort the human had come so close to discovering Mark, a borrower hiding in the walls of his home. If he was caught, then Mark would have no idea what would happen then. Maybe Jack would sell him? Maybe the human would keep him as a pet, put him in a jar and ogle him like something in a museum. But no matter what, Mark knew that if he was Seen, if he was found... then that would be the end of Mark Fischbach. Doneso.

Mark shook his head out of his thoughts and grabbed his bag. I need to stop dreading, he scolded himself. If you keep thinking on it then it'll happen, just relax and get what you need... He instructed his body through the familiar routine and walked through the tunnel that led to the kitchen. He looked out, first only peeking his head out in the open. Then once the coast was clear he emerged. Every muscle in his body was tense and trained to run if something happened, and so Mark hoped this time things would go a little better.

He ran across the counter and headed for the cabinet he needed to get to. It hovered high over his head suspended over even the tallest of humans, but Mark knew that despite his size he could make it. It's gonna be a pain in the ass getting up there, but I can manage. He unwound his hook and swung it, aimed, and threw it. Luckily for him, the hook snagged the door handle first try. Pleased, Mark tested the string, then pulled the door open a little with all his might, and then he began to climb. He deftly made his way up his rope and crawled into the cabinet. Once he caught his breath, he got up and looked around at the assorted shelves.

All right, let's see... Mark  wandered down the row. He finally got more rosemary, some celery salt too... but all I need is regular salt. He frowned and looked up at the other shelves.

"Did he move it?" He murmured. Mark scratched the back of his head and climbed up the rough wooden wall, traversing onto the next shelf. Bingo! He ran to the salt and worked the lid off. Opening his bag he scooped a couple handfuls of the white mineral until the sack was full. When the borrower was done, he put the lid back on and made his way back to the bottom.

Ok. He sighed and started climbing down the string. I gotta hurry and get back home. But about halfway down, the borrower's sharp ears picked up approaching footsteps. Mark blanched. Oh no. No oh shit this is not good! Mark slid down and tried to hurry, but the friction of the string made his hands burn. Losing his grip, he fell the last few inches and collapsed on the countertop with a solid thump. Ow. Mark groaned and tried to sit up, but his breath had left his body. He couldn't move, stunned, and all he could do was lay there limp and out in plain view as Jack walked into the kitchen humming.