Not So Different (Mark and Jack)

Jack was out in the woods picking herbs that his home town needed when an unearthly roar swept through the trees. Birds squawked and fled, as did a nearby deer as Jack whirled around and froze with wide eyes.

What the hell was that!? He dropped a handful of sage in his basket and hurried along with it, scrambling through the tall grass and over gnarly roots as he searched for the source of the sound. Another bellow turned him slightly to the right, toward the mountain, and it wasn't long before he pushed tree limbs out of the way... and before him was a huge pile of rocks at the base of the great peak. His eyes widened. The rocks were scarred and heavy, numerous and dusty from collapsing... but what was that underneath? Jack kept in a crouch as he inched up behind a bush, peeking through the leaves. There were rumbles, loud grunts of pain and soft growls as the thing underneath tried to move. Jack gasped. He could see trunk-sized fingers covered in pale dust, twitching in an effort to move; hair also dusted was more of a peppery shade than black, covering a tan forehead that was marked by a dribble of blood. Fangs were bared in a pained effort to get up... but it was pinned down by the heavy rockslide.

Jack's eyes trailed back up to the huge rocks, and then back down to the giant. He couldn't even see what it was wearing, or tell the true color of its dusty skin. It looked like a male, though. Male giants were suppose to be strong. How did this one get trapped?

The Irish lad took a nervous breath. He, like all other folk, knew full and well about giants; they were uncommon but powerful, hunting humans down as one of many prey, but if enough hunters gathered than it was possible to kill one of them. Just a few weeks ago he had heard of a successful case, and there was much celebrating. And he knew that a giant in a weakened state like this was perfect for killing... but there was a sinking feeling in his stomach. Was it fear?

Jack set his basket down and slowly unhooked his knife. He emerged in a slight crouch, slowly going down the remainder of the hill and approaching the pinned beast. He saw its nostrils flare as the male turned its head: Upon sight he bared his fangs, snarling with red eyes. Jack hesitated, but then he watched as it unwillingly relaxed and let its head slump on the ground, heaving. Jack straightened and cautiously approached. He wasn't attacked: He walked right up to it's demeanor and saw that even though its eyes were focused fully on him, it did nothing to stop his approach. It couldn't; it could maybe bite at him, but other than that it was good as dead, and it clearly knew that as well as Jack did.

Jack felt his blood stir as he lifted the knife. There'll be stories about this. They'll welcome me like a hero. Nobody will just ignore me or pick on me again. They'll finally listen to me! But his hands trembled as he gripped the handle. He found himself looking back at the giant: Its jaw muscles were twitching with anxious bobs, nostrils flared with dread, and pupils constricted. It then closed its eyes, furrowing its brow: It was bracing itself.

He stared at the immense being, biting his lip, and then he grit his teeth and swung his hands with a yell. The giant flinched... and then it opened one eye to see that Jack had thrown the knife away. The Irishman was breathing heavily, shaking his head as he backed up a step with remorse shaping his brow.

"I can't do it," He breathed, "I can't kill something that doesn't deserve it... I can't..." The giant stared at him, clearly astounded, and then it huffed and rested its cheek against the torn earth, exhaling. Jack's hands trembled as he shrank back, feeling guilty for even thinking of trying such a thing. Just because he'd heard stories about bloodthirsty giants, it didn't mean all of them were.

He heard the giant let out a relieved rumble and sighed shakily, looking back up at the heap of rocks. He frowned thoughtfully, and then he came back up to the giant. He could hear it rumbling curiously, feel its gaze on him as he started to climb, up the rocks and up to the top of the mound. At one point he scaled a bump that was warm and slightly soft, and he realized with a jolt that this was the giant's shoulder. Damn, he's huge. Bigger than any the elders described! Uneased, Jack continued before pulling up onto the top boulders. He studied the clustered rocks: there were big ones, but if he moved the little ones first then maybe he could push them off.