Serendipitous Rescue (Part 1) (Mark and Jack)

"D-don't move," a small voice commanded in the engineer's ear. "Or-or you'll get hurt."

Mark wondered dimly if he was going crazy. The wires that had him trapped gave off enough light with blue flashes of sparks, and through the hazy fog and blaring red alarms he could make out the blurry shape of something-- no, someone-- making their way down his arm toward his snagged waist. Even though hanging upside down kept his messy hair out of sight's way, he still had an urge to run his fingers through it and do a reality check. How is this possible? The tiny figure tentatively approached the broken, angrily hissing wires and pulled out a sharp tool resembling a knife. Well, anything is possible in space, but still... what the hell? He winced. The small weight felt so strange, feathery but concentrated. It was managing not to step on any of his burns or lacerations, but it still felt so strange...!

A rumble passed through the metal walls, and Mark stiffened. They weren't safe here. It wouldn't be much longer before the ship exploded, or worse... his breath quickened, and he felt his overworked heart skip a beat. After getting beaten up, electrocuted and then tied up and left for dead, the engineer's day didn't seem like it could get any worse. Hell had been unleashed, and now every man was for himself it seemed; apart from one, who probably wasn't even human.

The pressure around his waist suddenly let up, and Mark yelped as he tumbled away from the wall and collapsed onto the cold floor. He groaned and lay there, still too exhausted to move. He was vaguely aware of the strange form's weight on his back, but then he suddenly felt poking on his cheek.

"Hey, wake up!" The small voice chided. Mark's eyes opened weakly. There it was. Up close it was hard to be definite, but the form certainly seemed humanoid, he could see that now. It was clad in black and had what looked like pale skin, but after his vision focused he could make out the startling blue glow of the eyes.

"Uh... whrr...?" Mark flinched as the form shoved his cheekbone.

"C-come on! We gotta go!" The words were spoken in the masculine range, but at a lighter octave than the average male human. Mark was wondering how this strange alienoid could even speak English when he heard a faint shriek. His eyes flew open then, recognizing the sound underlayered beneath the wailing systems.

"Nng... th... m'nster..." He mumbled. He started to get up, slow and unbalanced. He felt his tiny rescuer grab on to the fabric covering his broad shoulder, and he tensed until it had scrabbled on with a secured purchase. He then got up all the way, holding his head in one hand, but when he tried to walk pain seared through his side. He gasped in pain and staggered, leaning against an overturned supply crate as he groaned and pressed his hand over the pained area; it was warm, wet, and sticky.

Somehow, he managed to find his strength and stumble his way blindly through the sea of red and screeching alarms. He slumped against the wall when he could, slouching where there weren't hissing wires or broken metal, so that he could try and catch his breath. Every now and then he'd take an urging from his strange passenger, or a shrieking growl from faraway would make him start moving again.

It was a painfully slow progress that came to a halt when Mark collapsed under the sign for the medbay. The whole ship seemed to have tilted when the engineer found himself on the floor, but all he wanted to do was close his eyes... for just a minute... maybe a little nap--

"Hey!" There it was again; whatever the alien was, it was off his shoulder and pushing him awake. "Come on, we gotta go! Ya can't take a snooze here," it hissed in a whisper. Mark grumbled incoherently and put his head back down.

"Mmn... can't... m've..." He heard a terse sigh, and tapping that faded and was quickly swallowed by the blaring screeches of the alarms. Mark wondered if the creature left, too impatient with him and his broken body, but then a few seconds later he heard something thud, and then the sound of metal being dragged slowly came to him.